Avid Newscutter users -- Audio De Linking issue

Kent

This one is probably for the Avid forums, but I had B Roll up on my PC. -- Sorry I called it delink in the slug -- but I meant to say Unlocked.

I've been using Avid Newscutter version 6.x for the past couple years on a laptop with no firewire sending issues. But over the past few months I've upgraded to Newscutter v. 7.x and now have a new copy of Avid Newscutter v. 9.x. I'll get my package cut just fine, but when I am set to feed, I plug the firewire cable from the laptop going into the Panasonic AJ-HPM200, it flashes an error on its screen, my audio suddenly is "unlocked" and I have to go into my audio pulldown and re-lock the audio.

This never happened in the early Newscutter version, and doesn't seem to happen every time now, but is there any way to set a default in Newscutter 9 to stop with this unlocked? When I have a five minute sat window, I just don't have the time to scratch my head and try and recall which one of the hundreds of variabilities Avid throws in my face every week.

Thanks for any pointers!

Kent Peterson
KMSP

Last edited:

grinner

This is the drag about upgrading today's Avid products. They fix bugs and introduce new ones on ya. You can try reinstalling but you will probably end up going back to what worked until they iron this one out. Try creating some new usuer settings first. Often that'll clean out some hickups for you. It wouldn't hurt to delete your database files and let it create new ones for you too. It's a shame they make their clientele pay to beta test for em now but that's how they've elected to do business.
Hence FCP's rapid gain of market share.

Kent

I really don't want this to degenerate to a FCP vs Avid name calling. I work for a progressive company who outfitted our 30 photographers/editors with a 100% all Avid news room. We produce 8.5 hours of news every day and this is about the first glitch without any easy explanation. Three of the four local twin cities stations produce tapeless, and the horror stories I hear from the other two tapeless stations with all sorts of format jumping boxes and storage nightmares makes me appreciate Avid every day I work with it. Every Avid box talks seamlessly to every other Avid box in our shop. Even though they're expensive, for a news factory environment I'd want nothing else backing me up.

I'm just looking for some positive help on this issue with firewire and audio getting unlocked by itself.

Thanks!

Kent Peterson
KMSP Minneapolis

b-roll

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Kent. This is a setting issue. We had this before. Let me look at our avid and I'll find the solution.

b-roll

Administrator
Staff member
If you go to Settings>Audio Project you'll see the setting you need. We keep it "unlocked," but you may need it differently for your camera.

Good luck...

Kent

Thanks Kevin -- I've already been to your settings illustration. What I'm trying to figure out is how to keep Avid Newscutter audio locked permanently.

My final goal is to get SDI into our truck, so I go from the Avid laptop via firewire into a Panasonic AJ-HPM200 which transcodes it to SDI. Usually the Avid laptop remembers to stay locked, but seemingly at random it goes into audio unlock. I'm trying to force Avid to remember my locked audio setting. I dragged the audio project settings icon into my site settings and assumed this would do the trick but it hasn't. Sometimes it remembers, sometimes it doesn't.

Looks like this is a phone call to Avid tech support, perhaps a bug, or perhaps another deeply imbedded setting.

Again thanks for your legwork on this one.

Kent

Last edited:

shootist

PRO user
If you find a solution, please post it.

We have the same problem....except it's mostly our desktops at the station that default to "unlocked"...not our laptops.

Usually not a problem when transferring stories...BUT....

When we play out a timeline in real time (dubbing file into our cameras via firewire or playing out to our uplinks or even out of our live trucks with our laptops) and the audio is UNLOCKED, we get a "tick...tick...tick...tick" sound in the background throughout the piece. Can't always hear it in the live truck and can't count on the guys taking feeds to hear it....but you'll definitely hear it on the air.

Kent

Possible Solution

The chief editor at KMSP and Avid wiz kid Rob King pulled my Audio Project settings into the site settings of my laptop Newscutter, so now on each start up Avid looks to the site settings and finally obeys. So far, in a weeks time, I've not gone into an unlocked audio mode yet. Give this one a try and see if you have similar success. (Of course the evil FCP spirits may well take note of my apparent success and jinx me next week, so only do this in quiet whispers!).

Kent

Deck Configuration Settings

I have found that the 'Deck Configuration Settings' dictate the locking and unlocking of Audio.
I find the following settings to keep the Audio locked:

Direct on COM 1

Deck - Panasonic AJD250P