Auto Anamorphic in FCP

AKinDC

So I'm logging and capturing video into FCP that's been shot in 16x9 and squished into 4x3. I'm editing in SD 16x9. So after capturing a clip, I go into the settings and check the anamorphic column so it un-squishes. Is there any way I can import clips using log and capture and automatically make FCP see it as anamorphic?
Thanks!

zac love

1. click "Final Cut Pro" drop down menu (in between "the Apple" & "File" menus)
2. Easy Setup
3. DV NTSC - Anamorphic

That should do it for you.

I have to say I had the hardest time trying to get my footage anamorphic when I first started using FCP about 7 years ago. It took me about 2-3 hours of trying to convert 4:3 footage into 16:9, going through google & then while I was screaming at my computer screen "I just need a check right here!!!" I hit my mouse button in rage & bam! check appeared in the anamorphic invisible check box area.

Apple can be so simple & easy sometimes, but very frustrating if you don't know that you can check an empty space. Would it have been so hard to put a radio button or empty box there Apple? ...ugh... bad memories

AKinDC

Ah...I always admonish people for not being specific enough when asking for editing advice, now I've left out stuff.
What I should have mentioned is that we use a very specific custom setting at work, so I'm stuck taking it in on IMX 50 settings though our Kona card. They don't have a specific anamorphic version in the set-ups. I was hoping there was some sort of hidden button that would allow anything to be converted automatically.

2 Hungry Dogs

You can create your own easy setup for just about anything you want. Go into A/V settings, and get it correct, then "make easy setup"

Necktie Boy

The video should a flag to tell FCP that the footage is anamorphic. Without it, you have to tell FCP by checking the box.

Looking my my camera, I have an option to place a anamorphic flag or not.

AKinDC

You can create your own easy setup for just about anything you want. Go into A/V settings, and get it correct, then "make easy setup"
Not anything you want...just the codecs that FCP and/or your video card supports. There is no setting for IMX 50 Anamorphic. I'd like for there to be a separate anamorphic check-box in the capture menu, but I think I'm stuck checking the box after every capture