Atomos Samurai problems

Starman

Has anybody had problems with the Atomos Samurai?

It is working fine with my HPX370 P2 camera, however, when I connect it to the HDX900, it is doing all sorts of funkiness. It starts and stops recording every half second, so the record bars are flickering. All the Samurai settings are the same, camera trigger is Panasonic and timecode trigger is record run.

Also, when I tested everything with my nano flash it worked totally fine, timecode trigger and everything.

Last edited:

svp

Sounds like a firmware/compatibility issue. The Samurai came along long after the HDX900 and there is a huge technology gap between the HDX900 and the HPX370. New technology isn't always designed to be backward compatible with older equipment. Unless ATOMOS is willing to update the firmware to fix this issue you are probably out of luck. The question becomes how many Samurai users and shooting on 900's and is it worth their time and money to make the unit compatible with an outdated camera?

Necktie Boy

The HDX 900 is just outputing a SDI signal, just like any other camera with a SDI output.
It could be a timecode problem? Also remember that the output is 59.94. It could be a mismatch setting. I'm with John about checking DVInfo board.

Starman

I have read of plenty of users with HDX900's and Samurais on Creative Cow working just fine. But, I have old firmware, 4.1, now there is 5.1, it also gets rid of the clicking noise in the audio tracks when you run power off of a D-tap. I will upgrade first and go from there.

Well, I just upgraded, still having the problems. Figured out that if camera mode and system mode are different on the HDX900, the problem arises. Samurai works fine in 1080 59.94, with camera and system mode the same, but I can't have the same settings in 720 59.94, only camera modes are 24, 30 and 60p, so it gives the problem, recording starts and stops several times a second and timecode seems to hiccup.

Also, when running off D-tap adaptor instead of Samurai battery, I get a clicking noise in the audio when using an external mike. I read on a forum that the solution was to switch to "D-tap" power setting in the menu, but I couldn't find where it was.

I sent a support ticket to Atomos.

thanks,

Last edited:

Starman

I was wrong, 1080 59.4 with 60p camera setting works fine on Samurai. Just gets funkyness when switching to 720p.