Archiving Question

JoeyO38

Hey Chiefs,

Quick question: How do you guys archive shows? Right now, we record each show onto a DVC Pro tape. After a week, it is taped over and gone forever.

I know there has to be a better way to archive these shows and keep them forever. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

marstaton4

We record them on DVD as well, but in the low quality 6 hour mode. Looks rough and reporters, or should I say OMB's frequently "borrow" them and may or may not make it back.

Necktie Boy

Why not record back to the video server? Then burn a DVD for whoever wants one? And doesn't the FCC required to have airchecks on file? At least for a client that says that his spot didn't run?

MikeW

DVDs are problematic. They freeze up and won't play any farther.
In my mind, tape is still a better format.

JTFCM

DVD is by far the cheapest and easiest way to do it. Modern DVD's are much better than DVD's made 10 years ago. The coatings are much better and will last longer. In most cases they will last long enough. The less you handle them the better off you will be.

If you have a special show or day (9/11 comes to mind) that you want to archive forever, you could master those shows onto a tape or as a data file like an AVI and store in on a drive for long term storage.

If you do archive on tape, make sure you're engineers maintain a couple playback decks for you.