Archiving Idea..... Need some thoughts.

MatttEaly

My station recently purchased final cut server. Along with a new Xsan RAID server for storage.

One of the things were were looking forward to when getting Final Cut server was a new way to Archive. However, there have been a number of issues, which may or may not be simply due to lack of knowledge of using FCS.

One of the issues has been a smooth way to archive footage and be able to pull it back up for future stories. Now, I have been researching and trying to figure out the best way to do this, but in the process another thought occurred to me.

I wonder if their is a way to set our storage to the RAID server directly from final cut pro, instead of using final cut server. In other words set a project, simply for archiving, and just upload all archive footage to specific folders within that project, and save the whole project to the RAID server instead of to the editor storage.

Has anyone tried this or heard of this???

I would love to hear some thoughts and opinions on this subject.

104imdirect

ummm

so the media would live on the raid and not locally on your edit system?

I'm pretty sure you'll need a fiber channel net for that

Contact a place such as either B&H (photo, etc.) or Dell. As an example B&H sells many versions of RAID (external) or installed; some of which are as simple as plug and play. Even a secondary RAID system is still the most economical and by far the best way of storing that much information.