Appropriate dress for a job interview......

Status
Not open for further replies.

DERF

Only once did I interview a female candidate for a photographers position and she wore slacks (sp). And the one female that I had on staff probably would have done the same for an interview.

I think that a dress sends the wrong message. Almost that you are too feminine and may not be up for the job. A nice slacks outfit looks professional and can give the impression that you are a professional that is not afraid to do the job that is typically male dominated.

Jeans are always a no-no and a skirt REALLY sends the wrong idea. One of the things that I always did in an interview was give an example of what I wear to work in - dress shorts and polo shirts in the summer and warmer months, jeans and polo or button down shirts during the cooler months. Tennis shoes in the summer and boots during the winter. This gives the hiring person an idea of what to expect from you once you get on staff.

I know that everyone has the right to wear what they want unless a strict dress code is in place. But I have always been against t-shirts (some are okay), ball caps, jeans with holes, flip-flop type shoes, jerseys and skirts for female photographers. You represent a major company in your community and your appearance reflects them and yourself. If you want to be treated like a professional than act and dress like one.

My two and half cents. Hope that helps and good luck on the job interview.

KsPhotog

I always wear khaki pants, a nice shirt. No tennis shoes. What ever I'm uncomfortable in I figure is good for an interview.

Currentchief

You should always dress like you're buying the company. A suit, if you have one or a pants suit for the ladies- No suit? Wear at least slacks, long sleeve shirt and a tie. A skirt for women might be OK- but, I prefer pants in case you need to move around briefly with gear.

Also remember to keep a new polo shirt, cotton twill slacks and a decent pair of walkin' around shoes either in the car or a briefcase should you be asked to go out (who knows??)

Dress as formal as possible, because you're competition is wearing shorts and a polo to the job interview- you're dressed like a professional.

You get 7 seconds to make a 1st impression. We all turn to look at "the candidate" when they enter the newsroom. How may of you made a judgement based soley on appearance? Why take the risk? The idea is to remove any excuse to eliminate you from contention.

Currentchief

You should always dress like you're buying the company. A suit, if you have one or a pants suit for the ladies- No suit? Wear at least slacks, long sleeve shirt and a tie. A skirt for women might be OK- but, I prefer pants in case you need to move around briefly with gear.

Also remember to keep a new polo shirt, cotton twill slacks and a decent pair of walkin' around shoes either in the car or a briefcase should you be asked to go out (who knows??)

Dress as formal as possible, because you're competition is wearing shorts and a polo to the job interview- you're dressed like a professional.

You get 7 seconds to make a 1st impression. We all turn to look at "the candidate" when they enter the newsroom. How may of you made a judgement based soley on appearance? Why take the risk? The idea is to remove any excuse to eliminate you from contention.

shootcam

According to everything I have ever read about going to a job interview, it is simply stated that you should dress up one tier above the position for which you are applying.
Unless I stipulate to a potential hire to come prepared to shoot all day and edit, please dress as a professional, and expect to be treated accordingly. Afterward of course, we will converse, over a nice dinner, on the stations tab....

Status
Not open for further replies.