Anyone have info on GY-DV5100U??

I'm wondering if anyone is currently using these cameras in their newsroom? All information is greatly needed as the station I will be working with soon is looking into this new aquisition. I know there is a big interest in going tapeless and this is a fix to that transition and JVC is offering this "inexpensive" option. Thanks.

patssle

this camera isn't tapeless though...its DV/miniDV.

But anyway, I use the GY-DV500, one of its predeccesors. It puts out a nice image for a $5k camera with its half inch CCDs. I'm pretty happy with it for the various things I shoot from news, sports, and documentary.

Dedline

I believe the model he is talking about has a built in hard drive option. So it records to tape, and to hard disk on the back so you don't need to digitize tape to edit non-linear.

LuccaBrazzi

I have the DV5000 as my "personal/fun" camera...which is the previous model. I believe the only major difference is a newer-generation chip.

Anyways...the 5000/5100 is a pretty good camera. Unlike those PDX 170's, XL-2's or Panny DVX100's, you can actually put the JVC's on your shoulder. You can even put frezzi's/AB lights, Sennheiser 66's and Lectro wireless on them. Basically, it's a fantastic low-light camera...and is pretty much a "pro" camera. It might not be as "sturdy" as a typical Sony Beta cam because the JVC's are made of plastic/nylon instead of metal. But, they're pretty damn light...and you simply can't beat the price.

One suggestion, though: I hope that station you'll be working for equips the cameras with the Canon 19X or Fuji 20x I-F lenses. They're big upgrades over the "stock" Fuji 14X or 16X lenses.

Spacey

I did a shoot with the 500 and the hard drive. Ran to tape and the hard drive copies went to the AP for review.

Every now and then, there's a group that has me working with a 550 (An added Triax unit) with Firestore FS-3 (which is the same as the JVC-sold unit) on the Anton Bauer back, and then a Hytron 140 with Lectros and so forth, Lighter than a Betacam...psh, but it balances much better.

The quality (at DV25) it pretty good, I can cut inbetween tape and Disk footage, although there was a thread awhile ago on a "beep" being recorded whenever it was pushed into record mode.