Any SpeedEdit users out there?

justFRED.ca

We've started using the Tricaster version of SpeedEdit for some of our editing work. Just wondering if there are any other TC / SE users in the b-roll community.

Cheers,
George

grinner

Some of the kids I teach have it at home and do some fantastic things with it. I could see it being very useful in a mobile situation, on the fly, and for wedding dudes.
I've loved toaster since before it's Amilink days and have always been a NewTek fan.
Considering it's price point, I can't see how you could go wrong.

SoMissTV

I just finished 5.5 years at a job where I worked on the NewTek VT and SpeedEDIT systems. What would you like to know?

justFRED.ca

I just finished 5.5 years at a job where I worked on the NewTek VT and SpeedEDIT systems. What would you like to know?
The NewTek documentation is, shall we say, somewhat opaque? And the Tricaster editor is a pared-down version of SpeedEdit. I did find some online SE tutorials and was able to translate a significant portion of them into the TC version despite differences in the interfaces.

The bit that has been pulling my hair now is how to do a simple fade to black at the end of a piece.

Cheers,
George

justFRED.ca

Some of the kids I teach have it at home and do some fantastic things with it. I could see it being very useful in a mobile situation, on the fly, and for wedding dudes.
I've loved toaster since before it's Amilink days and have always been a NewTek fan.
Considering it's price point, I can't see how you could go wrong.
Our main use is live streaming (followed by online archiving) of multi-input (camera and computer) presentations, speeches, etc.We use TCs for the live switching, streaming and recording, but figured we might as well take advantage of it as an edit deck when it's in the shop rather than just let it collect dust.

Cheers,
George

justFRED.ca

Workaround - Fade to Black

Went into the text editor - created a slate with black text on a black background and saved it as a CG file.

Back to the video editor. Dropped the slate into the end of the timeline and pulled it over the last second of the final clip: instant fade to black.

A kludge that works. But surely that can't be the proper way to do this...?

Cheers,
George

SoMissTV

The easiest way to do a fade is to run the cursor over the end of the clip in the timeline. You'll see a triangle in the lower corner of the clip... by grabbing that triangle and moving it into the clip itself, you will adjust the fade time of the clip.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

justFRED.ca

The easiest way to do a fade is to run the cursor over the end of the clip in the timeline. You'll see a triangle in the lower corner of the clip... by grabbing that triangle and moving it into the clip itself, you will adjust the fade time of the clip.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.
Ah....so that's it. Yes, it makes perfect sense. So you're basically using the fade functiona and dragging it backwards. Noticed I had to make the clip long enough to actually get to black.

Thanks SMT.

It's not easy finding what would seem to be editing basics in the NewTek documentation.

Cheers,
George

SoMissTV

Sure thing. Hit me up on the PM if you have other questions. You may also consider joining the VTNT group at YahooGroups. There are some good people there who have a decent amount of knowledge on the platform.