Annoying Vertical Mobile Video with Blurred or Pushed Same-source PiP Border

prosheditor

Does anyone know why the local and network news editors use that annoying PiP effect with blurred and/or pushed (blown up) same-source borders when airing vertical mobile video? I'm really tired of seeing it.

A static black or colored, even subtley animated, background would work fine but using moving video, especially high motion video as the border is very distracting.

svp

Because it fills the screen and looks better than slapping it over a background. I prefer it that way when it's done right. Often times it's not put together right and can be very distracting. What I've found is the blurred background needs to be zoomed all the way in then significantly blurred. If you don't have enough blur it's very distracting.

prosheditor

Well, vertical video is bad enough by itself, but that annoyance alone is accentuated by the high motion borders taking up 2/3 of the screen on either side. Then the fact that its blown up and blurred makes it even worse. I think they're trying to be artsy and it needs to stop.

1911A1

I agree with the gentleman from OKC. When I have to use vertical video, I layer it over a very zoomed-in, very blurred copy. Frequently I'll darken the background video and sometimes I'll even use a drop shadow.