And...yet another new camera.

svp

In my opinion, Sony dropped the ball by not building the wireless into the camera and requiring an additional attachment. We're way past that on the technology ladder. If they were looking to make more money, require an optional board insert to make it work or something but an external attachment is inexcusable.

In my opinion, Sony dropped the ball by not building the wireless into the camera and requiring an additional attachment. We're way past that on the technology ladder. If they were looking to make more money, require an optional board insert to make it work or something but an external attachment is inexcusable.
See I take the opposite stance on that. While I think the wireless module should come bundled with the camera. I actually like that it is separate because theoretically at least, Sony can upgrade just the wa-101 unit as the technology becomes available eliminating the possible need to do a major redesign on the camera. Note this is pretty much the same setup as my 400.

Necktie Boy

I don't want to see a built-in wireless system in a camera. It would add additional cost, not to say it will slow down production of the camera since different blocks would be used. Some blocks were better, and at some time, you have to rent or have different blocks that work. Even with the wireless slots, owners have wireless equipment, they keep using that instead of buying an in slot receiver. (Sony's slot only allows one channel of audio with a non Sony receiver). I don't know if Sony has changed that.

I don't want to see a built-in wireless system in a camera. It would add additional cost, not to say it will slow down production of the camera since different blocks would be used. Some blocks were better, and at some time, you have to rent or have different blocks that work. Even with the wireless slots, owners have wireless equipment, they keep using that instead of buying an in slot receiver. (Sony's slot only allows one channel of audio with a non Sony receiver). I don't know if Sony has changed that.
The internal wireless we are discussing here is not the slot mount audio you are thinking of but the wireless video capability. For things such as camera and lens control, mongering etc.

Tv Shooter

See I take the opposite stance on that. While I think the wireless module should come bundled with the camera. I actually like that it is separate because theoretically at least, Sony can upgrade just the wa-101 unit as the technology becomes available eliminating the possible need to do a major redesign on the camera. Note this is pretty much the same setup as my 400.
What he said. Camera technology and wireless tech move at different speeds. When a better, faster, more powerful wireless becomes available, it's an easier update as a separate unit.

svp

We'll agree to disagree, and I was talking about WiFi wireless not audio wireless. With everyone replacing and upgrading cameras every 3 years I don't think redesigns are that big of an issue. Look at the new Panasonic AJ-PX380 that comes out in October. Wireless is built-in and the camera has a USB slot for a 4G dongle. There are other cameras on the market that have already done this and I think that is the way to go. I mean, lets face it, firmware upgrades are pretty much all that's needed. Most upgrades aren't going to be in hardware.

If you like the attachment, then why not make it in the form of a card or board that slides in a slot on the camera? Why this big bulky attachment that hangs on the side?

Tv Shooter

I wasn't talking about audio, not sure how that got into it. I posted about the Sony WA 101 wifi unit.

Necktie Boy

My bad....Sorry!

I saw wireless, and audio popped into my head. I think newer cameras come with that option. The FS7 comes with a wi-fi dongle to control it via wi-fi. As other mentions, you have to buy the wa-101 to do video.