Amateurs in a professional world?

Ben Longden

The scene; A multi vehicle high speed crash, with one car on its roof, multiple trapped, including a baby, and the rescue mob are astonished no one is killed.

The players; the usual suspects at a high speed crash. Plods, fireys, ambos and rescue.. the local paper and me for the local news.

Whats so different?

The jurno from the local paper is a uni graduate in journalism. The plod in charge of the crash comes over to give us a quick press conference. (YES, they like the media here!!)

Whats even more different?

As the plod approaches, we hear the jurno on the phone to her editor asking WHAT QUESTIONS does she ask the police....

*Sigh*

Then she takes out her iPhone and starts taking video for the papers website.

As my partner said, what she shot makes us look reeeeaaaally good. :eek:

Shootblue

The local newspaper has started using the iphone now for video of exciting things like press briefings. First of all, it's horrible video that few would want to watch. Secondly, the lack of any zoom ability makes them constantly have to get it very close in, making it as annoying as radio station mic flags 8 cm from the subjects chin. I've said it before, they want video for hits and we find we get better hits on our station website from still photo galleries. It's an ironic world.

svp

I've said it before, they want video for hits and we find we get better hits on our station website from still photo galleries. It's an ironic world.
The problem is right now media companies have figured out a very profitable way to monetize video streams in a way they can't with photo galleries. Tribune does this a system called DNM. Our station could care less about tv ratings. All they care about is doing stories that generate a lot of stream plays online, and not necessarily on the station's website. Our stories are added to the DNM and any media outlet that pays can embed our stories on their sites. Its really become very profitable.

Banner ads and page views generate almost nothing in revenue compared to video streams.

Shootblue

Our platform is tribune (and what a horrible system it is)...I try and stay as far away from the web as possible. I can tell you with reasonable certainty what will get decent hits and be worth posting...but it is still the Wild West and I'm going to let the characters kill themselves off until the ones left standing get a system in place.

Ben Longden

The thing that really floored me at this gig was the uni graduate asking her editor WHAT questions to ask the police...

Dont they teach this basic skill at uni anymore?