Alternatives to rock-n-roller?

Starman

I love my rock-n-roller multi-cart, but are there alternatives to it that fold more flat and make more room?

I have a 4-Runner with shelves I built in the back, I noticed I have tons more room for gear if I don't take the cart.

Just wondering if anyone has any other solutions out there.

thanks

Run&Gun

I don't think there are any other carts out there that can haul the amount AND fold as compactly as Rock 'N Rollers. I stand mine up near the back and I can fit my milk crate full of A/C between the rear tires. I try to maximize my space and so far that's the best way that I have found to in my current layout.

There are a couple of options out there, just do yourself a favor and sit down before you open the link to see the price on the only one I know of. As far as I know all of the ones that truly fold down into nothing come at this type of price tag. If anybody knows of or wants to make any similar option for a reasonable price let me know. I love my Rock-N-Roller but have often thought what If I could fold those wheels in so that everything was only 3" deep.

http://inovativcarts.com/shop/carts/scout-2/

Last edited:

Run&Gun

I've seen the Inovativ carts, too, and they ARE cool… But I think they are more for guys that do a lot of "on-set" type stuff than ENG guys just trying to load a ton of gear in. And I don't think they offer me anything over what I have, at least for my purposes. I've said it before, Rock 'N Rollers are the BEST bargain in the business. I do wish they could pack up smaller and I didn't have to "waste" the space I do in the back of my truck, but they are an absolute necessity.

I've seen the Inovativ carts, too, and they ARE cool… But I think they are more for guys that do a lot of "on-set" type stuff than ENG guys just trying to load a ton of gear in. And I don't think they offer me anything over what I have, at least for my purposes. I've said it before, Rock 'N Rollers are the BEST bargain in the business. I do wish they could pack up smaller and I didn't have to "waste" the space I do in the back of my truck, but they are an absolute necessity.
Agreed and that would be why I have a Rock-N-Roller instead of some convoluted stage tec, though I do love to look at some of the stuff around.

For that matter I am always shocked when people come up to me and ask where they can get a cart like that.

satpimp

All I've ever had to replace on our Rock and Roller is wheels and casters. We got the solid wheels and replaced the casters with Heavy Duty industrial cart versions.

Every time our flyaway has traveled our RocknRoller has shouldered a burden well past it's design limits. Great tool. Never leave home without it.

I love the fancy schmancy carts but can never justify the cost. and I'd probably break the adds ons quickly. Besides you can use Matthelini clamps to build your own add ons. Do the shiny carts pack smaller or weigh less, probably, but the RocknRoller works every time. Even when its limping along on gimpy wheels it's great.

When we replaced a caster wheel during the NBA playoffs last year one of the Arena guys told us to put the other wheel back on. That's how he always knew it was us... the ungodly racket.

Colin Kelly

A nod to the KartMaster

I have two rocknrollers but if I was to upgrade this seems to be a good (but more expensive)
alternative.
http://www.kart-a-bag.com/kartmaster-hd-500.html
The KartMaster hd500 is more pricey than a rock-n-roller, about $700, and IMHO worth the extra price. It has traveled to South America, numerous Caribbean islands and all over the US for me. I've had mine probably more than 10 years. This little thing weighs less than 50lbs. (used to be important when checking gear) and folds up small in my production van. Robust build, it will handle all the weight you can throw on it. The solid poly wheels are the best bet, never a flat tire.
The staffers at network Fox News are issued these and abuse them regularly. Seeing them pile massive amounts of gear on the KartMaster convinced me long ago.