Aircraft Carrier LIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps a weird question... but... here goes anyway.

Was the USS Abe Lincoln moving during last night's spech? If so (or even if not), how they get a sat image off the carrier... and how did everyone else get the reporter lives off the carrier? Seems like the ocean rocking would interfere somehow.... although I realize the Lincoln IS a little more stable than a 18 foot fishing boat...

Not a real gripping topic today... just wondering, since you can't exactly park the "Rent-a-Sat" next to the ship...

S

<SatMAN>

Yes the abe was moving. From what I have been told, there is a tracking dish that moves with the boat, car, truck, (aircraft???) and it keeps locked on the sat in the sky. It is almost the same tech that was used in live shots for the war.

T

<TC>

I'm more surprised that they didn't get fuzz every time the radar made a sweep. That's some heavy duty shielding they must have had

M

<Me>

I don't think the boat was moving. There was a Destroyer just off the bow. You could see it in the wide shot looking back at all the sailors on the deck. It still had to be rocking with the water though.

Shaky & Blue

I believe Disney's cruise ship has the capability of sending live satellite pictures of "talent" on deck while it's in motion. If Mickey Mouse can do it...

Lenslinger

Years ago when I was a young swabbie, shooting video topside was always a problem because of the (RF?) interference generated by the radar. I remember shooters wrapping the bodies of their cameras in tinfoil, but it never fully fixed the picture and audio break-up experienced every time the radar rotated in the camera's direction.

But that was many moons ago. How do they deal with the problem now?

As for the motion of the ocean, old Abe was sitting pretty in calm seas. But every ship, no matter the size, rock and rolls a little (sometimes alot). It's a mighty big pond out there.

On another front, I thought the execution of the aircraft carrier speech was stellar. Political theatre or not - it was great seeing the Bluejackets getting the credit they deserved. Ten months out to sea is an incredibly long time, especially when you lose track of time just days into it. Go NAVY!

Terry E. Toller

They use a dome style antenna that 'tracks' the sat. As mentioned above, the same type of antenna was used on the Bloom mobile which allowed for live shots that could last for hours as they sped across the desert.

C

<Chuck Dennis>

I was on the USS Bonnhommerichard (Pr.) Bonn Home Riish-Ard. The only time I didn't get a radar ping was when I was on the 5th deck stern and 3rd deck forward. It drove me nuts.

The navy has tracking dishes so TV can be seen from ship to ship and other sources.

I have a GR8 pic of a carrier but I can't figure out hoe to add it to this thread. May be it worked but I just won't know it till i add this reply.

SeattleShooter

Originally posted by Terry E. Toller:
They use a dome style antenna that 'tracks' the sat. As mentioned above, the same type of antenna was used on the Bloom mobile which allowed for live shots that could last for hours as they sped across the desert.
In the issue a mouth or so back in "TV Technology" they had in entire section on Blooms set up in Iraq. Pic of his humm and the dome sat track on top as well as a normal sat dish. They were loaded! Something like 5 cameras on the humv.

Everywhere I have read...YES the ship was moving.

Pete

David R. Busse

Auto-tracking satellite dishes that can roll with the ship are nothing new. Been around for a while.

Picture a Wescam-sort of arrangement, upside down holding a big dish instead of a camera. That's how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.