Airbox

Focused

Has anyone used the Airbox type of softbox on a LED 1x1? Wondering what you think of them.

For those not familiar that are a blow up (air filled) air bag that can be attached with straps or Velcro to 1x1s to diffuse the light. There is a front pocket to add different diffusion or color correction gels. Louvers available as well.

The design folds flat and appears fast to set up. I'm wondering about longevity. Many pictures show a yellowing front panel and that's no good. There is no heat in LEDs to yellow a fabric like old hot tungsten lamps did. Guess I'm wondering if they come with a yellow tint or if it was a bad marketing photo?

For the cost I'm willing to try it. $85 and $115 with louvers from amazon.com. Anyone else have input?

Necktie Boy

There is a thread about them by Ken. He picked one up at the last NAB. He really did like it.

Maybe Ken will jump in.

Douglas

I haven't used an Airbox, but when I asked the owner a couple of questions on another forum, he chose not to answer at all, and to me, that spoke volumes!

First of all, I have a Chimera softbox that is specially made to fit my Litepanels 1x1 lights. I've measured it's dimensions and it gives me 50% more surface area compared to the naked light. You would think that would make it softer, but it barely makes any visible difference at all compared to just putting a piece of typing paper over the glass. I've done many tests, and the difference is negligible. And to make matters worse, the Chimera really kills the intensity of the light. So, nothing gained as far as softness, and a big loss in firepower. Double whammy.

So I asked the Airbox guy if his Airbox was any better? Did he have any example images to show the difference between Airbox vs. naked? And if he had any numbers on exactly how much light is lost through the Airbox in foot candles. I got no reply.

I even offered to do some testing for him and provide some examples he could use if he sent me a demo unit. No reply.

If you ask me, his Airbox is probably no better than the Chimera, which I never use because of reasons I've stated . . . and he knows it.

My advice is not to ASSUME it makes a damn bit of difference in the quality of the light unless you test it yourself. It could be the greatest accessory in the world, but I'll never know and the owner won't say.

Just my opinion.

Focused

I'll answer that

Well, my order arrived today so I will be doing some testing soon. And, I will post the results, with pictures.

At first glance it appears to be adding 40-50% surface area to the 1x1 panel. There is a three cell internal structure on this model. The side against the LEDs is clear plastic. The front has the look of a tough opal frost. There is an envelope to slide other diffusion materials as stated in the product description.

Guess we will see when I power up on Friday.

Focused

Short answer for now. The airbox did soften the light. It also took a lot of punch out if it. I don't have actual measurements right now but it was darker than I expected.

I'll test more and get those photos up. After Super Tuesday.