AG-AF100 for Documentary

BluesCam

I noticed that a TV station was doing a pretty in depth documentary (several months of shooting) primarily using an AF100. I was a bit surprised. I know an AG-AF100A came out, but I know little about it. Supposedly, it can output 4:2:2 10 bit HD.

dhart

AF-100 is an under looked camera (first sub $5K large format). I owned one for about 4 years and recently upgraded to FS7. I really liked the camera but it never really caught on in the freelance marketplace. If I remember correctly the model "A" was a minor upgrade. No 4:2:2 or 10 bit. As long as you're not doing any heavy color grading 4:2:0 8 bit is not bad. I did many a green screen with that camera and no problems.

BluesCam

Yes, apparently, the 100A has uncompressed 4:2:2; 8 Bit HD-SDI Output.
The 28 Mbps AVCHD internal recording would not be acceptable to many networks.
That camera is now selling for $2K new. I'm glad you had good results with it. I'm sure you like the FS7. The Sony EX1 is only 4:2:0 at 35 Mbps and it was well received
when it came out. I had no problems using it for chromakey either. Still, for a broadcast doc, I would certainly consider using an external recorder with either cam.

Alaska cameradude

I noticed that a TV station was doing a pretty in depth documentary (several months of shooting) primarily using an AF100. I was a bit surprised. I know an AG-AF100A came out, but I know little about it. Supposedly, it can output 4:2:2 10 bit HD.
Not really. It's not a true 10 bit signal. It's an 8 bit 'padded' signal....or as
Panasonic called it in a honest moment 'enhanced 8 bit' signal.