AfterEffects

SeattleShooter

Anyone out there use AfterEffects and/or know of a good book/DVD that I can use to learn it? I don't mind jumping into the fire but that program is a bit over my head.

EditOne

Video Copilot has basic training videos posted for free online. he also includes the project files for you to follow along with. you could also try adobe press' "after effects classroom in a book". these resources will get you started

Chugach3DGuy

I use After Effects pretty much every day now, and I have to second both the Video Copilot and the Chris and Trish Meyer books. The books are great because they explain what all the controls and buttons in the program do, and Video Copilot is great for explaining how to do different things without having to sift through a big book.

Video Copilot also has a pretty good beginner's guide to After Effects where he takes you through and explains how to get projects started.

After Effects Basic Training

Its easier said than done, but take things at a comfortable pace and try not to get frustrated. It is a really complex program, and it took me several months of frustration and 2 college courses before I had the slightest bit of comfort in working with it.

Necktie Boy

I second the Chris and Trish Meyer books. I have both. Detail information and pictures to see what they are doing.

upclose

Lynda.com

Lynda.com also has great tutorials on After Effects, and almost anything else. I've used the Meyer books and Video Copilot as well.

Baltimore Shooter

I use After Effects pretty much every day now, and I have to second both the Video Copilot and the Chris and Trish Meyer books. The books are great because they explain what all the controls and buttons in the program do, and Video Copilot is great for explaining how to do different things without having to sift through a big book.

Video Copilot also has a pretty good beginner's guide to After Effects where he takes you through and explains how to get projects started.

After Effects Basic Training.
Good to know because the tutorial from Adobe is a PITA, no help at all.

Warren

Chugach3DGuy

Yeah, Adobe's documentation and "official" tutorial books don't really do it for me even though it does contain the same kind of information you'd find in the Meyer books. I think Adobe's wording and explanations are a bit dry and told from the point of view of those who designed the program- not those who have to use it.

Then again, everyone's learning style is different. If Adobe's books were that horrible, I doubt they would still be on store shelves.

grinner

I think just going through some online tutorials and substituting your own elements and flair is the best way to attack it. I've been on AE since it's version 1 release, long before adobe snagged it up and to this day I still learn things as I go. Expressions were not something we used 15 years ago and I get a lot of help in that area online today. You'll find creativecow's AE forum to be very interactive and, as mentioned, there are some great tutorials at videocopilot. Andrew is on the cow too, if ya ever wanna interact one on one.
The Meyer books are great if you are one for books. I learn best by clickin'. Time in the chair is yer buddy. Find a look on tv and take the time to tear into that look. You can then start creating your own looks as you get more confident.

Shocker

The After Effects Apprentice book by Trish & Chris Meyer is a great book for the After Effects beginner. It includes a DVD full of tutorials that guide you through the tools and how to use them. This is the book I'm using during my Video Graphics class. The book is $20 at Amazon.

When you start learning, focus on a particular strength of the program... I've started focusing on it's compositing and basic visual FX capabilities rather than motion graphics simply because I'm a photog, not a designer. I was overwhelmed at everything it could do, and I tried to learn everything.

Focus on what you love or what you are good at, but realize that you likely won't be able to master everything in the program. It's just amazing how much it can do.