Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameragod

I might have a gig coming up in Afghanistan. Now obviously I would appreciate any advice, as I have never shot there. Plus I was wondering what rate I should be charging, should I load an extra danger money charge to my rate? If so how much? Once I would have just gone, keen for the experience, but now I have wife and kids to think about and my insurance doesn’t cover places like Afghanistan.
Sigh… must be getting old.
;)

dhart

To Cameragod; are you nuts? In case you haven't caught the news lately our troops are a little jumpy and tend to shoot first and ask questions later. A very experienced war videographer from Reuters just got wacked because the troops thought he was sighting down on them with a RPG which turned out to be his camcorder. If I where you I'd stay the hell out of there, unless you have some type of death wish and don't care if you ever see your wife and kids again. I'm sensing from your post that you haven't really thought this all thru. It ain't some game of cowsboys and indians and you get into a reverse jackpot in a naosecond. We are talking about one of the most dangerous countries in the world!

There was a very interesting documentary some time ago on PBS about still and video camera people that traveled the world in search of "bang-bang" as they used to call it. There was one cocky guy who thought he'd never "get it". Long story short he got the shot the hell up and had to spend 9 months in hospital recovering from some very painful wounds. He vowed never to go hunting "bang-bang" again cause no shot or story was ever worth what he had to go thru. BTW I assume you're just kidding about that "Cameragod" nickname.

konman

Dust that kills. PortaBrace will not help. Think hard how you are going to dust-proof your gear. WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN. Use only bottled water. Keep an eye on all of your cases and bags -- things will get stolen, especially at the Kabul airport. LANDMINES.
220V/50Hz.

wtv

I was there last year on a shoot, it was a safe and profitable time, saw some interesting stuff as it was a good change from Africa. Beautiful country, interesting people, a cameramans delight.

As to charging danger money, great if you can get away with it, but I must admit I never have.

Danger is a relative thing, you might get hit by the bus on the way home or slip in the bath-tub, that said I have just had my first baby and my next shoot is Liberia, it will be interesting to see how the wife takes it, but we did meet in a conflict zone so hopefully there will not be too many hassles.

Just to add a little more info, I named my fisrt son after a friend killed while working in Serria Leone a few years back, so the risks are very real.

Gear, same as always, as the other poster said, there's a ton of dust, but hey, if my camera wasn't dusty, I think it would fall apart.

Personally I'd be on the next plane.

Good luck if you go.

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
Originally posted by wtv:
...Just to add a little more info, I named my fisrt son after a friend killed while working in Serria Leone a few years back...
It wouldnt be Kurt, would it?

cameragod

Well ironically after worrying about weather to go or not, they brought the shoot forward to when I already have a two week booking for something else. So I’m off the hook but it did make me think about how my attitude to putting myself on the line has changed. I guess part of it is after travelling so much I know what a hassle it really is. The idea of visiting far of places shooting breathtaking picture doesn’t excite as much as… oh hell who am I trying to kid? I wana go!!! I wana go!!! I wana go!!!

wtv

Cameragod, you had me worried there for a minute, not wanting the hassle of travel, more pretty pictures etc, then I read a bit more and was glad to see that you did want to go after all.

Me, I have been on the road more or less all my life, and I still love travel but must admit I love getting home too, but then after a week or 2 I know its time to get on the road again.

Liberia was cancelled and the client now wants to head to Iraq, off this weekend.

Happy shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.