adobe premiere

Are there any tutorials or tips to read on using premiere for editing news packages? I realize there are plenty on premiere, but i'm looking for one that is personalized for news, explaining which bells and whistles work well and which ones are best left alone.

Necktie Boy

I haven't seen any help for cutting news. The important item is the sound. Depending what channel the VO and the Nat sound go. I would drop the VO on one track, then cut in the video with the nat sound on another track.

villagevidiot

usually not...I have been using premier for about 3 years and the only tip i have for you is to pan your audio...Premier is not the best option for editing news...its great for general production work...even advanced production because it gives you great control over all aspects...except your audio...avid is better at that...but overall, the only thing I can tell you is to check your local VO-Tech school and see if they have a solution that is geared towards students doing this type of thing...also check with local colleges...because of premiers low price point, its easier for colleges to use.

The Daywood

We are using Premiere at the entry level, but we also teach FCP and AVID...For audio, use Audition that comes bundled in most cases. You can import the audio straight from the timeline, and it will open a video track in Audition so you can see your pictures. It will keep sync with the video because of the Adobe "dynamic link" feature and that's just how the program works....

As for news, basically all you need is to edit your clips...99% of news is just cuts only so slap them on the timeline...What are you trying to figure out? Leave the bells and whistles to the narrative guys. If you are looking for some tips and tricks, check out www.CreativeCow.net or the iTunes podcasts or even the Adobe Primeire page http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/

Have fun!!

Last edited:

patssle

The dynamic link thing Adobe has kicks ass. Being able to cycle between sound editing, after effects, photoshop, and premiere. Its awesome. I can't imagine a workflow without it anymore really.

Sore Shoulder

Just started a new job, we have Adobe Premiere.
I'm glad to hear that you guys like it. And I know
where to come for info. I was afraid no one else
was using it. :)

Like Melloyellowman I was looking for more info on the system--outside of the the user guide, that is.

Thanks

bwfilms

I've been using premiere for 6 years now. Just switched over to premiere pro. The best advice I can give you is to mess around with it on your free time. I've never read a book or tutorial on the program...just learned it myself. Good luck!

Tapeape

Premiere does just fine on audio if you follow a simple trick. Two audio tracks. One panned left, one panned right. there's your ch1/2 audio without having to mess with pan rubberbands. A third for track. A fourth if you're laying a music bed. Now it's basically just like Avid, only the audio effects pallate is more intuitive and the notch filters are easy to find ;)