Accessory Advice for Sony F5/F55

Hiding Under Here

Folks, it's been a long time.

I'm soliciting advice from F5/F55 owner users regarding accessories they have purchased for those cameras. Specifically I am wondering if any of you have any strong ideas regarding a camera cage/handles/follow focus set up. I have the Sony shoulder mount but it sucks because there is no option to have rods out the back to hold a Pix240. I have looked at the Movcam, Shape (shich I like), Tilta and some other units. Does anyone have a suggestion in this area?

Also, what camera sliders do people here like? I'd say my choice has come down to the MYT (medium) or the EZ Slider, which is currently running a 25% off sale. Any strong opinions in that area?

Finally, SXS cards. Are the Pro version a big enough upgrade to justify the price difference? I have several 64Gb cards of the version before the Pro models. They seem to work just fine.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'd glad folks are still here to give it.

Run&Gun

I can't comment specifically to the 5/55, I have a C300 and a few VariCams, but maybe Doug or Richard will chime in. As far as the slider goes, I have the MYT 4' and like it(although it is the large so that it can handle my Vari's). I have a Cam Tram for bigger jobs/longer runs, but I wanted something that was quick and smooth. A lot of people have Dana dolly's, but they aren't self contained. I wanted something I could just throw down and put the camera on and do the move. I also bought it as the 3-in-1 kit that comes with a skate, which is basically a set of foam wheels on a frame that accepts the hi-hat so you can do dolly type moves without track, as long as the surface is flat.

Zacuto has a VCT type shoulder pad/mount coming out, too. I saw it at NAB, but I don't think it is on the market, yet.

Tv Shooter

I'll add a more detailed answer later, but a 16x9 arm holds my Odyssey 7Q, but I'm adding a Solid Camera 7q cage soon.

I use the Sony mount and find it quite usable for me. Still haven't found anything that makes me want to spend the money for something different.

I have a Dana Dolly and a Rhino slider.

Flaca Productions

I have the sony pad as well and went with the Shape top plate and handle. Really like the Shape products, but one thing that I'd prefer is a closed back side of the handle. Seems a little dangerous at times to have the back end open, but I haven't dropped it...yet.
Whatever you get, make sure you get the VF plug protector.

I have the MYT slider - 4ft - because that's the space I could accommodate in the truck. I really like it and it's been handy. Quick setup. Solid. I'm considering adding 2 of the Century Slider Stands http://www.msegrip.com/product/stands-1/junior-senior/matthews-slider-stand.html but right now i just use 2 tripods with half-balls. Or i put it on the floor with some sand bags. (it gets pretty tall, pretty quick) Great kit.

It'll hurt, but I think you'll want the pro plus cards. You can do all HFR stuff - everything the F5/55 can dish out with those cards without a worry. I have 4x64 of those and 4x64 of the older orange ones (pro?) from my F3. I personally have not had a problem with the older ones, but on the major shoots (aren't they all?) I use the Pro Plus.

Sell your older ones on Ebay or keep for backups/emergency cards.

Douglas

I have the Arri shoulder mount, top plate, and handle on my F55. It makes a world of difference and gives me tons of options for mounting accessories. It's very comfortable for handheld shooting.
https://www.zgc.com/s/p/arri-337451.html

I also got the Erogocine wooden grips a few weeks ago and I wish I had done it a year ago when I first tried a friend's. It's A great product that you really have to test drive to fully appreciate how comfortable it makes the camera. I got the model that has a built-in record trigger. I would say that I've got my F55 setup to be more comfortable any ENG camera I've used in the past.

I've owned a Dana Dolly for several years and was one of their first customers. But I don't use it much anymore. It takes too long to setup, it's difficult to move, and I can't ever leave the camera unattended. Someone always have to have a hand on the camera, or the dolly has to be lifted off the rails.

Now I use a Glidecam Vistatrack 200-48 that I got last winter. It's great. I can move it with the camera attached just by dragging it around. It's strong enough you can stand on it. The legs are built-in and fold up like a card table. Very smooth movemnt, and I can lock the dolly in place and use it like a tripod. I can't use the Dana as a tripod because there's no way to lock it in place. When you pan, it moves. Like trying walk on ice. The dana needs MORE friction.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/899479-REG/Glidecam_glvt20048_VistaTrack_200_48_48_Track.html

Oh yeah, one more must-have accessory for the F55/F5 is my 300-page book! :)
http://www.vortexmedia.com/FIELD_GUIDES.html

Robin

I vote for Vocas everything.. wooden handles.. top plate/handle ..mattbox.. all good..

Tv Shooter

I'll second, and the ayes have it.....Doug's new "Guide to the F55" is most important to have. It's been in heavy use the last couple days, prepping for a more complicated than it should be shoot coming up, where we will be syncing, matching and shooting with 3 different cameras at the same time.

Why people want to take an F5, and an F3 and match them to the wide shot 5D is beyond my comprehension of what stupid is. My client was very concerned that the F5 wouldn't match the F3 that has a 5D look. Yes, really.

Fortunately, using The F55 Guide, I was able to go into the F5 paint/matrix and load the F3 setting manually, then tweak the setting. Client could not tell the difference in screen shots side by side of the two cameras.

Without that guide, it'd have taken 3 times as long to do it.

If you own an F55 or F5, you should get the guide. It's the cheapest accessory you'll ever buy for your camera.

Run&Gun

Why people want to take an F5, and an F3 and match them to the wide shot 5D is beyond my comprehension of what stupid is. My client was very concerned that the F5 wouldn't match the F3 that has a 5D look. Yes, really.
Just like TV in general, cater to the lowest common denominator…

Hey, let's take a $19K dedicated video camera and make it look like a $3k still camera.

I can't talk too much, I used one of my 5's a few weeks ago as a third cam with my C300 and another. BUT we made the decision that it would match and look better than the little 1/3" "producer cam" that they wanted to use as the third cam.

alden

Doug...even some pros have glitches in their brains or knowledge base. I had decades under my belt and had never heard of WALLDO until a few years ago. Mainly cause I was news, not production.

cameragod

WALLDO Some BS mnemonic nobody has heard of or cares about?
Seriously where is the "C" for close up or "R" for reaction?

Don't know why that post was aimed at Doug.
Welcometo b-roll Alden, you might want to be a bit less obtuse in future posts. :)