a deserved (quote) "promotion"

rocky1138

so I've been at my current station for more than a little bit of time, but not a lot, and my schedule is still the same as it was on day 1.

now I know some shops it takes a decades to get off weekends & land a more "normal" schedule. but since I started half a dozen photogs have been hired & I would think that would be how I would get "promoted" to a better shift.

there are a few factors that go into the mix as some "photogs" only edit, others don't have microwave experience, etc. etc. but the last person to leave did exactly what I did, so I'm thinking that I'm in line for their shift (or at least a better one than I have now).

reporters, producers, desk all like me & the chief has never had to talk to me about something bad I've done.

if the shift goes to one of the people who was hired after me, should I feel offended? or should I just trust my chief that they know what is best?

bluffton

Quiet people go unnoticed

If it isn't broken, don't fix it! This is my point, if you haven't mentioned it to your chief then why in the world should he believe you want off of the shift? Say something and be tactful. Nice guys finish last and those who don't fuss won't have a fuss made about them.

Let people know your concerns. Sure you may hear the "we need someone with your experience on that shift" kinda crap, but at least you will have been heard and you'll know.

Good luck!

Lost in Alaska

Have you ever spoken to the chief to let them know you want something different? That would be the first step, especially if you are on good terms with them.

S

shade

if he gives it to some one junior to you then I would go in and speak to him. but before that happens you should have gone in and expressed your interest in changing shifts considering the turnover.

Necktie Boy

At my old shop, the new guy always got the worst shift. As the better shifts opened, we moved into them. But the Cheif had an idea since we would all ask for the better shifts. That was our reward, getting a better shift.

lost focus

I have been passed over like this in the past, though not with as many people hired behind me. I made the mistake of Assuming the cheif or ND would do their job in approaching or at least opening a dialoge when new hires came aboard. I thought that was just how it was...people leave "seniority" fills the next shift if all other factors are equal.

when I finally asked about it the ND realized she didn't handle that fairly. I got the better shift, the other guy ended up quitting and leaving the business.

Advise, ask now sooner than later befor it goes too long. Get an answer, you may not like it, they may not change anything but you'll have at least made then aware you were expecting (wanting) that other shift.

shootercub

lairs

"we need someone with your experience on that shift"
I think most of us have heard that line of crap..

Just remember, no matter how nice you think your CP is, they are never looking out for your best interests.. They are MANAGERS and thus, by design, are supposed to lie to you.
I remember one time the new hire would be leapfrogging me to a mon-fri position.
I asked what gives? The response was, "Well, he won't move out for the job unless he gets weekends off."
Flash forward a year, and come to find out that deal was never brokered.. At least on the photog's behalf.
The CP brought him in on that shift to entice the photog to move across country!
Not a bad deal if you can get it, but remember who you screw!

Finally I started sending out tapes, and soon enough the CP got wind of my displeasure.. Only then did I get moved off weekends.

Which by then only lasted a few months until I took a new job with a 50% raise,
and six months later I have weekends off!

Always remember, loyalty is never reciprocated!
You create your own luck!

Last edited:

rocky1138

so it has been a long while, but I thought that I should put a cap this thread (now that I can give an ending to the story).

the shift went to a photog who was hired about 3 months after I started. imho they jumped over me & about 4 other photogs in one leap.

I never talked to the chief b/c the chief was never around. hey its summer! kids have it off, teachers have it off, why does middle management have to show up for 40-scratch that, 25 hours a week?

(seriously, never around. I saw the chief twice in 7 weeks. 1min 1st time, less than 10min the 2nd time.)

so I ended up giving myself a promotion to a different (read: "better") place of employment.

(note it wasn't just b/c of the shift that I left. use you imagination to figure out who does the all the work when mid-mgmt hardly does any)

yah yah yah... I know that the squeaky wheel gets the oil and I share some of the blame that the chief didn't know what I wanted, BUT for any chiefs here in this cheif's section (I'm guessing if you read this, you desire & work toward being a better cheif) I want to say I don't think that I should have to bring you your morning paper in bed so I can tell you "my 20"

previous status: "20-42" (gut feeling that I'm about to get screwed over)
current status: "20-99" (happy w/ starting a new chapter in my life & gloating a bit b/c I just dropped a large amount of "new hire" work into the chief's scheduling book)

Flaca Productions

one station i worked at had a pretty good approach to 'rewards' - schedules were based on seniority - equipment purchases were based on merit. in other words - the guys who had been there the longest had the choice schedules (or the choice of schedules) and the people who were the best shooters were rewarded with new gear and special little 'toys' that they requested.

that gave rewards for longevity and working at your craft - a pretty good approach.