A couple from this week

The reporter working on this story was assigned a photog mid morning meeting so they could hit the road for an early interview. 20 minutes later I noticed she was still wandering around aimlessly (unable to find the photog she was assigned to) so I grabbed gear and we took off. I wish we could have focused more on the gal with the issue, we had some great stuff with her, but my reporter seemed to run into the same obstacles I have in the past ... facts over emotions.

http://www.kval.com/news/newslinks/126290408.html

I also took another shot at a nat pack this weekend.

http://sheldon.kval.com/news/arts-culture/if-it-wasnt-them-we-wouldnt-be-here-eugenes-japanese-obon-festival/248913

Latin Lens

Cottage Grove: I can tell that this particular reporter has some spunk...it was fairly entertaining...there wasn't any over-the-top cheese factor in the writing which was nice...but had you found the right characters it could have lended itself to that direction...but anyways....there's obviously a hundred different ways to attack this story but I don't think you guys chose the best one...starting off in some woman's car we haven't been introduced to...weak. No nats except for a tractor way off in the distance...weak...standup was creative but too long...you needed to have edited it quicker...too much dead time in there...bad jumpcut at 1:14 and I don't understand why...track said "so were residents warned about the smell?"...and she's standing at her desk after some nat of her opening a barn door? Why not show some homes or a city sign or something generic? Again...basic mistakes that are very harmful. I think if you can keep working with this reporter you'll eventually start turning some good stuff if you collaborate more and utilize more teamwork out in the field.

Latin Lens

Drumming natpkg: Tony...God bless your heart for trying these natpkgs...your hear is in the right place but you execution is again way off. These oppurtunities are very precious but I think from your lack of skill as a storyteller its effecting your direction of your natpkgs...this is very boring...very wallpapery...and had I not wanted to critique this for you I probably would have stopped watching by 30 secs in. Thats the hard truth for you but we need to help you to get these better. I think you need to understand what a story is. So what is a story to you? There's a story here...we just need to find it. And thats where your people skills come into play when you show up to these things. You also need to do a lot of "prep" work to ensure you get the best possible story. By prep work I mean...get there early to find the proper elements...and nice bit of story would have been the team unloading the drums and getting the setup and using the bites from an interview to talk about the drums...get nat sound...the actual story was in the interview you did...most of the people in that drum group aren't Japonese...we didn't hear from one of them...we didn't hear from the spectactors for nice supplemental sound...these elements as long you continue to neglect them will hinder your advancement in the natpkg area. Whats the begining, middle and end of your event? Thats the story you need to find...not just showing up and covering the event...way different approach and final product. But you need to keep at it...work out the bugs...you will find it hard to developed your skills in this area but if you keep trying you'll be ready for the one when it all makes sense.

Thanks for the continued responses ... seems like there aren't a lot of people willing to share in the forum as I had hoped. Then again, maybe they are like me and feel awkward anytime they say something due to a lack of experience and knowledge.

As for the nat pkg ... I would love to show up to things early and take my time, but unfortunately it's a luxury I just don't have at this stage/station. I was able to catch their last two songs, grab the gal I talked to and had to jet. What's your advice for a 45 minute time limit including drive time? Would it be better to just run the VOSOT?

Latin Lens

Well your response is quite a bit of shame of hear...the station obviously is not photography-friendly...so unfortunately you're trying to help yourself and thus help the station....but in the given scenario yes this is clearly a vosot becase I would not put this on a resume...nor would I even begin to help those who unfortunately aren't helping me...and that's sad but its true. You can either learn to live with it or let them understand your frustration and if there's better planning/setup then the product will change for the better. Its a shame to think this way but if thats who they are gonna be then you're better off taking the oppurtunities when you have them presented to you in the right way....or if you really, really care then beat them at their own game...take a sneak peak at the assignments...see that they want the drummer thing but you got 2-3 shoots before that...get that stuff done with enough time to better attack...but its always a team effort...from assignments to photog and everyone in between. It can be rough but take advantage when and where and however you can.

I'm hoping things will change with the coming of our new news director, but unfortunately things have been a downhill slope since I started. The common theme is to do more with fewer people. We seem to be bringing on more and more utility players like myself that have some experience doing a little bit of everything. While being able to fill multiple rolls on a moments notice might seem helpful to management ... being just good enough at everything means being great at nothing. Just because I can doesn't mean I should. My personal preference would be to focus on being a photog, but every photog position that has opened up has been replaced with an MMJ position. While I don't see us losing photogs, those that do leave probably won't be replaced. Totally just gut feeling and opinion, but based on what I've seen, its a scenario that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Latin Lens

Unfortunately this is not the best case scenario...and will I symphatize with your dilemna and would naturally be frustrated in I were in your position...why not try and view it somewhat in a positive way. Try and see it as a learning every available skill to help yourelf 2, 5, 10 years down the line. I wish I studying news reporter writing early in my career. I think it would have helped me out more then...but instead I had to work and learn harder later to in essance play catch up. Believe it or not....utility is a very valuable commodity in this business. Try and not let it get to you and seize your moments when they arrive.