9/11 — A Day of Remembrance, Ten Years Later

nikonjourno

I'm a broadcast journalism student at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University and new to B-Roll.net.

This package is my very first time doing a standup. In this class I'm currently in, TV Reporting, we all are MMJ's for the semester, a one man band. I would greatly appreciate any feedback I can get with regard to my videography, editing, use of nat sound, standup, writing and anything else. Thank you in advance!

[b-rollTV]3689[/b-rollTV]

cyndygreen1

Just notes as I watch:
Nats at top a bit short...not enough time to absorb. First shot too short...went by before I "saw" it.
Series of wide shots...this is an emotional event/go tight/get emotion.
Editing is cut and paste...editing should be driven by words or flow of sequencing.
Try not to place your standup dead center...get a bit off-center to add visual interest.
SOT bumped up against standup too quickly...allow a breath of time to make that edit.
Nice little sequence with Michael David...

OK - generally good solid shooting/exposures. Thank you for using the tripod. My overall impression is that this story felt mechanical...I would have started with Michael David's story. Focusing on one person draws the audience in and sets your story apart from it being just another event. People relate to other people. Then you could have backed into the overview.

It is important to get wide shots to show the setting...but equally important/perhaps more so to get those detail shots that suck the viewer into the story. Also watch that you don't edit from WS to WS or MS to MS...vary those shots.

The way the photos of Wells (the dead friend) was presented detracted from the moment for me...would have preferred a tighter shot of just one of the photos. Again, more emotional.

In editing...editing should breath...in and out...and have a flow that matches the mood of the story. Just laying down shots doesn't make it. You can edit by words, by punctuation, by sequence, with the musics, AGAINST the music, a multitude of ways. Somehow the flow wasn't consistent.

If this is one of your first attempts, then good job. It takes a while to internalize all of the tasks you have to simultaneously do to work at a VJ...you're on track to getting it down.