600 Mhz Repacking

satpimp

What are folks doing about transitioning wireless mics off the 600 Mhz bands?

Here in Miami we are VERY limited on available space for UHF mics.

What's the plan for your city/market?

Omar

zac love

I'm honestly a little confused. 700Mhz was "clear out" coast to coast. 600Mhz seems to still be dependent on market to market of what will be off limits.

But is that for just that market? So if you go to the next city over it might still be free?

satpimp

My understanding is that after the Frequency Auctions, nearly all of the 600 MHz range is transitioning from Broadcast TV to wireless data carriers and will be off limits and subject to substantial interference from 5G high speed wireless broadband. The end date is in 2020 but we are phase two here in Miami and testing begins next year.

That means that TV bandwith after the auction becomes:

VHF 54MHz-180MHz channels 2-13
UHF 470MHz-608MHz channels 14-36

UHF 608Mhz-614MHz channel 36 Radio Astronomy
UHF 614MHz-698.00MHz channels 38-51 Wireless Broadband/5G
UHF 698MHz-806MHz channels 52-69 already illegal in US.

All but three of our wireless mics are in Blocks 24 and 25 (614.400-665.500 MHz) and will thus be illegal to use coast to coast or close to it after the 2020 date and sooner in my home market.

We are considering jumping in a loophole by taking up space in the "duplex gap" between the uplink and downlink frequencies of the broadband service. (653.000ish-663.000ish MHz in Block 25). I am very curious to hear if others are planning to use the gap or the tiny sliver of guard band between 614.000 and 616.000MHz. Has anyone seen any of the numbers or science on potential interference?

Loosing the 600 MHz band is a big, expensive and frustrating problem for us, and I expect, others.

The new normal is gonna be a nightmare of Frequency Coordination. Between our photogs and trucks we have become accustomed to cutting wide swaths of bandwidth at big events. Finding clean-space in those big scrums could get frustrating.