32GB cards length

Douglas

How many hours are available to use on 32GB cards in HD ?
I've never heard of 1920x1280, so I assume you must mean 1920x1080.

How many hours can you record on a 32GB card? Maybe just a few minutes, or maybe a whole day. It all depends.

The amount of time you can get on any size card depends on the resolution, the frame rate, and the codec. Frankly, I'm surprised that a professional on this forum wouldn't know something so basic already.

cyndygreen1

Doug...even some pros have glitches in their brains or knowledge base. I had decades under my belt and had never heard of WALLDO until a few years ago. Mainly cause I was news, not production.

paulisphotoman

Thanks Cyndy, been a rough week, my brain is fried from trying to clean up a mess left to me by the idiot I replaced who left a very bad rep behind.

Douglas

Anybody can make a typo and write "1280" instead of "1080", I do that sort of thing all the time myself. But really, how can a professional ask about the capacity of a memory card without giving the codec, resolution, and frame rate.? That is really basic stuff no matter how "fried" your brain is. Video production 101. Is this a forum for professionals or not?

Last edited:

cyndygreen1

I guess the best answer is, it's a forum for professionals - both new to the profession and those who have vast experience. Part of the fun of this forum is the opportunity to help each other. Some folks here are gear-heads - they know all the tech specs but are probably not that good at walking the walk, while others may be great shooters but short on the tech background. And some are true Renaissance men and women.

paulisphotoman

Hasn't anyone had transition in their life, which takes them by storm. After I was laid off, a year later, my Mom passed away, life changed forever, so forgive me if I typed the wrong number. I had to work outside the film/video industry, out of necessity, but kept trying to follow all the tech news, but when you're not working in it, it's hard to fully understand when you're not actually doing it. Let's be a source of assistance, NOT judgment.

Douglas

I already said that a typo was perfectly understandable. I make them myself all the time, but that was not the point I was making in my post. So just to be clear, I'll say it in a different way, "How the hell can a professional in this business, who is a long-time member of this forum, and who posts frequently, and who just got a new job as some kind of production manger, and who called his predecessor an "idiot", not know that the capacity of a memory card would be directly related to the codec, resolution, frame rate, and audio settings? That is pretty basic stuff. Just another example of the the dumbing down of this forum and the video production profession in general.

BTW, I don't know what your mother or job history has do with it.

Necktie Boy

HVX200 uses P2 Cards, not SDHC cards. For P2 a minute per gig. So, a 32 gig card holds about 30 minutes of footage. Maybe a bit more at 720p. The manual should have the recording times.

HVX200 uses P2 Cards, not SDHC cards. For P2 a minute per gig. So, a 32 gig card holds about 30 minutes of footage. Maybe a bit more at 720p. The manual should have the recording times.
sort of it really comes down to codec with any card the 1GB is for the avc intra 100 codec which is a 100mb per sec compression,

there is also an intra 50 which is 1gb per 2 minutes give or take and a dvc pro 50 which I think is even less If I recall.

The point is it really comes down to bit rate consumption. though frame size and bit depth/color space etc all play a roll.

Capt. Slo-mo

Not to be overly simple, but won't pretty much all his cameras show a "record time" length in the viewfinder, based on codec and resolution selected?