2nd camera for b-roll?

dhart

Although I love my larger format camera (AF-100), I've found it lacking when it comes to shooting b-roll. I've struggled with the form factor and the lack of a proper zoom lens with some real reach. Run and gun it is not.

So I'm purchasing the relatively new PMW 300 to shoot b-roll. Pictures look remarkable on this little Sony camera (4:2:2 and 60db SN). I can use my shoulder mount rig to turn it into a proper hand-held camera if needed. Also there is still quite a market for EX-3 shoots (300 is EX-3 successor).

Anyone else out there come to the same conclusion?

Douglas

Dennis, I think the PMW-300 is a great choice and I'll probably be doing the exact same thing later this summer when the XAVC upgrade is released or I sell my EX1, whichever comes first. I think my F55 and the 300 will make a great team.

Sony loaned me a 300 a few weeks ago for a project I was doing and I loved it. What a pleasure to shoot handheld.

svp

That's why I never bought a DSLR or equivalent camera and started working in that market. That's a huge pain in the rear to have to carry two cameras around. It still won't help in those run and gun situations where you're out getting broll and interviews and having to constantly switch between cameras. It makes me think of all those still photogs I'd see at sports events with five cameras dangling around their necks, each with a different lens. If you're ok dealing with that headache then go for it and I applaud you but it's not for me.

Douglas

It's not a headache. It is liberating to have two cameras, each designed for two different types of shooting. Not a headache at all.

dhart

Yeah, reminds me of my early days in news when I shot with two different film cameras one for A-roll and the other for B-roll. Now I really dating myself :)

Starman

Does anybody shoot on film anymore? Panavision here rents film cameras for uber cheap these days. I even see a lot of features have gone digital, and the ones still shooting on 35 are the old school guys. Seen some NFL films stuff still using Arri 16mm cameras, but mostly F900R. Wouldn't mind if a client wanted to shoot some Super16 or better.

To answer your question, I have not looked at the PMW300, but I have a friend with a 400 and it's awesome. I imagine that the 300 will be stellar as well.

Last edited:

Robin

If sony make an adaptor from B4 to Centre scan .. i.e. small,relatively cheap,and very little light loss.. then F5/55 could easily do both..(with shoulder pad,rods,handles) ENG lens for B roll.. S35 zoom /stills/primes for interviews.. thats what I'm hoping anyway..

2000lux

I think that sort of thing already exists. Some one else makes the adapter.

Or, one could also use some thing like this Canon lens.

I recently worked with an AF100 that had a B4 lens and KiPro Mini attached to it on a shoulder plate. It was kind of a beast, but it worked.

Douglas

If sony make an adaptor from B4 to Centre scan .. i.e. small,relatively cheap,and very little light loss.. then F5/55 could easily do both..(with shoulder pad,rods,handles) ENG lens for B roll.. S35 zoom /stills/primes for interviews.. thats what I'm hoping anyway..
Yeah, as Brian says, that adapter exists already. But the adapter plus a good B4 lens is going to cost a a lot more than a brand new PMW-300 -- ready to roll right out of the box complete with lens, battery, etc. And then you've got TWO cameras when you want them. The 300 is still going to be easier to shoot with for run & gun.

Robin

Yes a new one was announced at NAB.. IBE I think.. as for the new canon.. yes thats the answer for me and many others I guess..at last it happened.. now wheres that $33,000 I had lying around somewhere.. :)