24P and Adobe

Sore Shoulder

Am trying to capture video recorded 24P. I am taking the video off the camera that it was recorded on (so camera works for playback). Am coming off camera via IEEE 1394. I can control the camera with the computer device control, I can hear the audio play back and the time code is being registered correctly. But I see no video.

I have tried to change the capture setting, but can't find the problem.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong--if it is me. ;)

Thanx in advance.

PS Using Premiere Pro 2.0

Chugach3DGuy

You may have already tried this, but did you start with the proper project settings? You'll need to set up your project as a DV-24p project- NOT DV-NTSC. Because you shot in 24p, Premiere will need to apply the 2:3:3:2 pulldown so you can properly access the footage, at least, that's my understanding of it. If changing the new project settings doesn't work, then I'd suggest to shut everything down, restart/reboot/etc. and then try starting up the new project with DV 24p settings.

Hope this helps!

Sore Shoulder

Thanks for the suggestion, but yes I did set it up as a 24p project from the start.
But I'll try shutting it down and rebooting. Keep you posted.

Chugach3DGuy

Hmm...

Can you play back the footage in the camera and see it on the viewfinder? Also, what do you see in the capture window? Does it flicker when its first activated? Does it give you a black screen or is it a neutral gray screen?

In my experiences, I'll get a gray screen if I need to run a cleaning tape through the deck. Most other times, I'll only get audio and timecode with a black screen if I had the lens cap on while recording a voice-over or something.

If you can play back the tape and see it in your viewfinder just fine, then it sounds like there is a problem somewhere on Premiere's side. The part that makes me think otherwise is that you can get timecode and audio just fine, but not video.

Have you by any chance had a problem like this before? Do you do a lot of shooting in 24p? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to get a better handle on your problem!

Sore Shoulder

Was shooting all day yesterday--now back to editing. :)

I can see the vid play back on the camera.
capture window doesn't flicker. Screen is black.

I took the lens cap off the camera when playing back--just to see. And screen was still black inside capture screen. Video playing back fine in camera.

Have shot a lot of 24p but not edited a lot of 24p.

Chugach3DGuy

Well now you've gone and just stumped me! I'm going to take a couple of shots around the office with our XL2 and ingest them today to see if I can recreate your problem.

We're using CS3 here, but I don't think there should be too many differences between the two versions...

Chugach3DGuy

No Problem! I don't shoot too much 24p myself, but the guy who worked here before me shot EVERYTHING in 24p. So, there was quite a bit of material I had to deal with until I finished up everything he had left behind.

I'll try and get back to you here soon!

John M.

Somtimes when you capture it will not display on your monitor - only in your deck / camera.
This happens to me when capturing HDV with Premiere 2.0, though I shoot 30p.

I'd try capturing some video then closing the capture window and seeing if your video shows up in the project with the rest of your source files.

Chugach3DGuy

Sore Shoulder,

Did you ever figure out the solution to your problem? I'm showing 24p footage playing back just fine, although my system at home works like John's post. When I capture HDV in Premiere Pro, I don't see the video on the screen- just a placeholder graphic of Premiere saying "Capturing video" or something to that effect. I don't get a black screen though.