17" OLED?

2000lux

What you think of the older Sony OLED monitors vs the new ones? What are the differences? Do I save a little money and buy an older model, or are the newer ones worth the extra $$$$?

I recently used a Sonly PVM 1741 17" monitor which I really liked. It was super sharp, especially with the SDI input (the one HDMI source I sent it looked like VHS). The colors were great.

I know there is a 1741A which I'm told is lighter. I don't know what else it does differently.

Apparently the newer 170 has been redesigned. Its at least six pounds lighter. That alone could make a difference with shipping and lugging.

Any thoughts, opinions, experiences, etc?

Last edited:

Douglas

I have the original PVM-1741 and I love it. It fits right into a Pelican case and I can pull it out and put it on a lightstand in about 15 seconds. I run it from a camera battery too, so it's extremely portable. I'm not sure how it compares to the new model, and I don't really want to find out because then I might want to upgrade! Better to be ignorant and keep money in the pocket. But if I was buying one today, I'm sure I would go for the newest model no matter what the improvements are.

Run&Gun

I have the 1741, also and love it. I saw the new one at NAB and it seemed tiny in comparison to the "old" one. I don't know how the two compare to one another besides size, but if the new one is at least as good as the old, you can't go wrong either way.

BTW, I just had it calibrated last week at Abel and looking at the before and after report that was sent back with it, it wasn't too far off out of the box. Not nearly as much as the smallHD DP7 Pro OLED, anyway.

2000lux

I found a good deal on the 1741, but the 170 is 6 pounds lighter, and had two generations of updates, so I'm trying to decide it its worth $1500 more.

Douglas

I had to look up the weights of the two monitors to see if you are right, and you are. It's hard to believe that the 1714 weighs 15 pounds. I've been using it for a couple of years I honestly would have said it weighed 10 pounds or less. That new model must seem light as a feather.

Whichever model you get, I recommend attaching the rack-mount handles. It gives you something to grab hold of when you're positioning the monitor on the stand, lifting it out of the case, and it really protects the screen inside the case. I put the monitor face-down in the Pelican so nothing can ever touch the screen as the handles act like landing gear.