Why this is an IMPORTANT JOB

n8riggs

I am fairly new to the industry and really enjoy being a news photographer.

Because I'm new, I am at part time, working odd hours/on-call and making under $10.00 hr.

I understand that I have to pay my dues and I'm fine with that. I just want to know what are some long term benefits being in this industry? Can I climb the ladder to become a reporter, producer, director? Is it better to go around the country working at different places or is it better to stay put and work my way up? Why is this career important to you?

Please let me know what you think.

NoozShootah

Can I climb the ladder to become a reporter, producer, director?
Your current position isn't any lower on the ladder than these jobs and believing that it is isn't a good way to look at things. If your goal is to be a reporter, try to find a job in a small market as a one man band and then work your way up to the larger markets.

It is no different than being a carpenter, or still photographer. Traditionally in both fields you would spend some time and apprentice to learn necessary skills on the job. Then the real work begins as a journeyman you must learn how to make it pay the bills. This is what climbing the ladder is for us, it will consist of improving your work so you can get the higher paying jobs either inside or outside the news segment of the industry.

There are a couple of people here that charge upward of 1000 to 2000 USD a day with equipment and work anywhere from 100 to 200 days a year at or near full rate. Can you just run out get an equipment loan and expect the same.... probably not. The people I am talking about are what people in the trades typically think of as master craftsmen. They have spent years learning the skills and years cultivating a business that supports that those skills.

I am not trying to sound preachy here I just happen to believe that the worst thing we do is think of ourselves as either below reporters etc.... or as some kind of public servant like a video file clerk. We are all tradesmen, artisans etc.. and need to behave as such. Also remember that there is much more to the world than just news and it tends to pay much better too. It may be boring but in the end you are in business and there is a trade off.

zac love

Because I'm new, I am at part time, working odd hours/on-call and making under $10.00 hr. ... I just want to know what are some long term benefits being in this industry?
I started in 2004 at $8.41/hr. Less than a month ago I freelanced for 1 hour, using their equipment and made $400. (Granted, that was a rare day. 2009 started out where I didn't make $400 in 3 months.)

There are times you hardly make enough to live on & if you're lucky there are times you'll have a nice bank account. You'll never get private jet plane rich in this career, but I think our "office" (working out in the field), is much more exciting than most office buildings & corner office's with a view.

I've flown upside down in a plane, spun 180 degrees on an air boat, ridden in squad cars while wearing a bullet proof vest, seen EVERY major candidate for the Presidency last year, been inches away from two former Presidents, seen popular celebrities and no-name people that will change the future through their research & findings.

And at the end of the week, I got paid for doing all of these things.

Can I climb the ladder to become a reporter, producer, director?
You can climb the ladder & become the janitor. I have a friend who works for an apartment management company, one of their janitors owns a couple of their buildings, unknown to the tenants. One day one of the tenants starts talking about his $40k BMW to the janitor, & how "If you work hard enough, maybe you could have a car like this." Janitor later tells my buddy that he already has a $60k BMW in his garage.

Pay your dues. Learn the ropes. And set your sites on what you want. There is no better job to achieve than a job you love.

My girlfriend gets annoyed at how many people ask if she wants to be a lawyer after they find out that she is a paralegal. Her answer is "I'm happy to leave at 5pm w/o a mountain of student debt & tons of stress following me home."

I think many guys here DON'T want to be a reporter, producer, director. We are photogs b/c we want to be photogs.

Is it better to go around the country working at different places or is it better to stay put and work my way up?
There really is no path that works for everyone. I know some people that say you need to stay at each station at least 2 years. I had little trouble moving from DMA #190 to a national network bureau in DMA #3 in under 4 years.

Biggest thing is NEVER burn any bridges. I have been in this business only a short while & amazed at where familiar faces start showing up.

Why is this career important to you?
There are many reasons, but the one that makes people the most envious is this:
Every day at work is a field trip.

Keep in mind that like the janitor example for those who freelance there are many ways to do it. I know guys who freelance as photogs and flight instructors, others who own apartment buildings, do construction etc. I also know many who just work as photographers, the real question is what works for you and that it is a great business to be in as long as you enjoy it.

As Zac said there is no path for everybody and the first few years are really the toughest.

My own personal advice on the subject is do not believe those who say you have to give everything to the profession and work for free. Or that you should do this purely because you love it and that you should never expect to make above minimum wage. Set your sights high and do everything humanly possible to achieve that goal... then find a way to do more. Yes pay will suck the first 5 years give or take while you are still in the apprentice phase learning the craft. But if you have any talent you will find a combination of ways to make it pay for you within reason of course.

Some Guy in LA

$3.50 an hour

...at WTSP-TV. Of course, that was 1979 when T-Rex was blocking my commute...

What other career makes a difference in informing an electorate, changes lives, gives to your community, right wrongs, gets dollars donated, and is a daily education. You are part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Greatest job on earth: you don't know what you are going to learn, where you are going to go, or who you are going to meet. On a daily basis!

Chin up!

SGILA

104imdirect

Why I do this

Just to echo some of what has already been said - THIS IS A COOL JOB. I can't think of anything more boring than sitting at a desk for 40+ hours a week. Our job is to tell stories. Some of them good, some of them bad. We witness the extremes of the human condition first hand and bring those experiences to the masses.

bokchoy

Working other positions, just involve other types of responsibility. I started out running tapes, while trying to learn how to shoot. A market change later, I was producing and EP-ing before I knew. All the time I was picking up cameras and shooting when and what I could.

While in my 'managerial' role, I always found photogs to be an untapped resource. Are photogs given the respect they deserve? Not always, but in the end I became one. I make less money and have less decision making (which can be frustrating), but I love what I do.

The most talented photog I've ever met works in a small market. He chooses to be there, so don't measure sucess on status, measure sucess on how happy you are. I don't want this to deter you, but if you are not sure about being a photog and feel the same way after six months or even a year, find some other line of work within news. You have to be passionate about your work. There will be a lot of obstacles against you working in journalism and if you can't roll with the punches, you will get burned out.

Working as a journalist is a love it or leave it profession. We provide a service and many folks base their knowledge and thought on what we say. If you are not committed to doing your very best every day, even when the bosses are not being the best, you are doing a dis-service to the public.

I wish you the best and hope you find your passion.

n8riggs

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I rather do what what I am doing now then work in a suit and tie selling couches. It is a rewarding job and I don't feel like I am at work.

Thanks mom and dad for letting me live at home. HA!!

Thanks again everyone.

patssle

I have a friend who works for an apartment management company, one of their janitors owns a couple of their buildings, unknown to the tenants. One day one of the tenants starts talking about his $40k BMW to the janitor
The other story here is a guy owning a $40k BMW and living in an apartment.

Most Americans are in debt. Much displayed wealth is fake and done for appearance/status. Just because somebody drives a nice car doesn't mean they are wealthy.

Icarus112277

First off, I've never worked at a station or done local news.
I do mostly work at networks or on shows here in NYC.
But here are my thoughts anyways:

It beats being behind a desk working in the same place with the same people everyday.
There will always be a need for content.
Believe it or not you are doing a service to the public- a) entertainment, b) news
The money, and better gigs, will come if you apply yourself.
I got into it because I had contacts and could get paid decently off the bat and eventually learn enough to do something that I enjoy with that knowledge.

Lensmith

Because I'm new, I am at part time, working odd hours/on-call and making under $10.00 hr.

I understand that I have to pay my dues and I'm fine with that. I just want to know what are some long term benefits being in this industry? Can I climb the ladder to become a reporter, producer, director? Is it better to go around the country working at different places or is it better to stay put and work my way up? Why is this career important to you?

A little perspective from an old fart...

When I started in this crazy business, there was no CNN. There was no cable news. There were not a lot of jobs at all. Pretty much like today. That point is missed by quite a few folks who are younger. From where I sit, the herd has needed some thinning for some time in our business. The trick right now is to be a survivor because...sometimes surviving is winning. The good stuff, like money, will follow...if you can make it over the long haul. Younger folks today don't always seem to have the ability to work for something. Less patience. Higher expectations of immediate gratification and success. When it doesn't happen as fast as they'd like/expect, they quit. But maybe that's just my viewpoint as an old fart. ;)

Do what you like to do well enough to make a living. That goes for any job. Not just one in TV news.

You have a lot of options ahead of you. A lot of directions to choose from. Do not be discouraged by others or situations which are temporary to achieve your long term goals.

Just because there are fewer jobs does not mean a person can not be successful in this industry. Look at pro baseball. How many people play pro ball at all levels, from triple-A to the majors? A lot of them don't make it to the big money. But...some do!

I'm getting too wordy here so I'll close with this final thought. You don't want to live life playing "what-if" at the end. Do what you can to chase the dreams that are important to you while you still can. There's nothing worse than knowing you could have tried, but never made the effort. Then always wondering if you could have made yourself happy if only you'd made the effort.

Best to you in the future! ;)

whteed

I've been out here for the last two years and still no pay. The tv stations here don't use stringer but I have made my point to them more then one time . the answer is still the same .... I know that they don't have a crew out at nite ... have showed more then one time and have been the only camera their ...

I've been out here for the last two years and still no pay. The tv stations here don't use stringer but I have made my point to them more then one time . the answer is still the same .... I know that they don't have a crew out at nite ... have showed more then one time and have been the only camera their ...
I'm a bit confused here are you a staffer trying to get a pay raise from your station. Or are you stringing without pay. If so you should stop the reason they will not pay is likely because they don't see the value in paying for something they already get for free. If they still won't pay than find another facet of video that pays and focus there or find somebody who will.

Cornelio78

n8riggs said:
I have been in the industry for 4 1/2 yrs now. I am 31, i started school late, so i started in the industry late. I knew going in i wasnt going to be making more then entry level pay. But i wanted experience and i love working with the camera.

Now i am Chief photog, and while the title should give me pay, it really doesnt and i am at DMA 89. I mean, you get paid more then me doing part time. I do have my complaints about the pay, but everything else, not so much. Tho, there are douche bags i work with, but thats anywhere you go.
lensmith said:
Younger folks today don't always seem to have the ability to work for something. Less patience. Higher expectations of immediate gratification and success. When it doesn't happen as fast as they'd like/expect, they quit. But maybe that's just my viewpoint as an old fart.
I have seen this in some of the people who have come and gone and even some i have trained. I have one guy right n ow, he has maybe been here about 5 months or so. Young, practically fresh out of college and he loves sports. He does news, but would rather be shooting sports. Thing is, his video is not all that great. And his dimeanor workign with reporters is not good, they hate working with him, because he is lazy and misses alot of video, as well as doesnt shoot alot of video. They have talked with him about it, i have talked with him about it, but he doesnt change, he doesnt improve , and he doesnt seem like he cares whats being told to him. But he expects to move on soon and in sports.

Good luck to him, but i dont see him lasting that long unless his attitude changes. So always improve.

I was looking to get out of news, cause i am not all ABOUT NEWS, tho it is a interesting work environment. But i have resigned to stay in it longer as long as i keep moving like i should have been. Reason i stayed at this place i am right now for so long is because all my family is here and i have been helping them out. But, keep getting better, keep moving til you find something good.

justFRED.ca

The secret to success is to keep showing up.

Cheers,
George

jumpkutz

I'll start at the end and work my way up.

This career is important to ME because it strengthens our country. A vibrant, agressive press/journalism segment of a free society vigorously exercising their First Ammendment rights is a win win for everybody. I also enjoy the challenge of telling the best story I can every day, regardless of the obstacles.

Personally, I think moving around too much is detrimental to the steep learning curve at every stop. How much is too much? You'll have to figure that one out for yourself. Take a hard look at yourself, then decide if you can handle it mentally, emotionally and physically to change locales every 2-3 years. If you can, go for it, if not, pick a region and try to put some time in similar, familiar environments.

Reporting is just too draining for me. I tried it for four months after school and was at my wit's end when it ended. Producers get abused more than anybody and directors seem to take on the attributes of a career factory worker after a while. But if you want to try it, go for it. The way the business is evolving right now, the more skillsets you have, the more employable you'll be. The future is a toss up at this juncture. I'm concerned about being forced to become a one man band after 30 years of shooting and editing. Still not sure what I'll do if that ultimatum materializes.

Long term, you should be able to raise a family and have some semblance of a normal life if you end up in a decent market and gain some seniority. And have a little fun every now and then. Even though they're high stress, long hours affairs, I've gotten to do some traveling covering post season college basketball over the years. The memories will last a lifetime, mostly good ones. Nashville, Memphis, Indy, Chicago, St. Louis, Albuquerque, Tucson, Philly, Atlanta, Orlando. St. Petersburg, Hartford (with brief side trip to Manhattan, shh) and probably a few more I can't remember right now. Many of these places I probably would have never been to otherwise. Your not going to get rich, so you better have fun every now and then. I've been other places and seen such a rich variety of things that words can not do justice. An Amish home in Southern Indiana. Shooting from a Bell Jetranger. Roaming Churchill Downs year 'round. Following a burley tobacco warehouse auction. Shooting a few sports hilights every so often (on OT!). And, most importantly, learning, knowing and remembering the details and nuances of your coverage area. I fear boredom if I decide to change careers.

Be discerning about the difference between paying dues and getting abused. I can't tell you the difference, you'll have to be alert and pay attention to your superiors and their relative interaction with you and your co-workers. TV stations seem to be crappy places to work, but of course, that's all relative. Try to find the least crappy station in a market you really like and do whatever it takes to stick there.

The thing that helped me the most early in my career was joining NPPA. I saw the possibilities of the craft throught them, and I believe I'm still employed in the business because of my exposure to the TV members' award winning work. I strongly advise you to do the same. Make plans to go to Norman, OK for The Workshop. It's worth any cost, hardship or sacrifice you have to make to get there.

Hope this helps, good luck to you in the future.

James T.

jumpkutz

Ooops! I forgot about the trip to El Lay to follow a guest for her appearance on the Dr. Phil Show
! Flew into LAX, stayed at the big hotel next door to the Kodiak Theater and talked our way past Paramount Studios security to get to the soundstage!
And survived navigating the freeways in a rental car!

Not bad for a kid from a small town in Western Kentucky.

A Step Above Productions

As far as pay you decide what you get paid… your employer just makes you an offer. You have the power to negotiate and to accept their offer or turn it down. I love the business and am now out on my own I decide what I am worth. Am I getting rich? Yes! Not with money but with time with the family. Remember this business takes you away from your family a lot … you have to decide if that is worth it.