Instant Flamewar: Best video camera ever?

f11vid

PRO user
Do you mean the MII format paired with the lovely NEC camera that the NBC locals adopted a few years back?Why wouldn't a company that makes cash registers make a great camera,also?

Chugach3DGuy

Well obviously, the correct answer to this question is my ancient Sony TRV-130 Handycam. I can buy more batteries for it at Best Buy, and the Hi-8 tapes it uses are DIRT CHEAP! It came with some cables that make it look "cool" when I plug it in to my tv, and it has a widescreen option somewhere at the very bottom of its menu system, so it must be hi-def or whatever the eggheads are calling it these days.

Oh, its small enough that I don't have to shoot from a tripod. How do I keep the shot from shaking? Well, there's a button right on top that says "Sony Steadishot". And everyone knows that George Lucas or whoever used the SAME thing when he filmed the speeder bike scenes in Return of the Jedi. I watched the movie with a bunch of guys that almost graduated from film school, and THEY said it was filmed with Steadishot cameras- and I don't know about you, but everyone that's ever been to film school ALWAYS talks about how they know everything and how they're so great. Well, THEY went to school for it, so who am I to tell them otherwise?

No one has to worry about audio, because it has a BUILT IN STEREO MICROPHONE RIGHT UNDERNEATH THE LENS. There's still a big sticker on the side that says 750X ZOOM. All I can say to that is: "FRIGGIN' AWESOME". I cannot believe this cost only $350 back in 2000! It's got that "nightshot" thing too, and I saw that they used that night-vision feature in Cloverfield, so this camera MUST be used on high-end productions. It's perfect for shooting out in the field because everything is completely automatic! While the people from the local news station are fiddling with the knobs on their lenses and holding white pieces of paper in front of them, I'm already shooting the action. Why doesn't everyone have auto-focus and auto-exposure? Heck, just give me AUTO EVERYTHING.

In short, this camera is the pinnacle tool in video production. After I get done with the 6-hour travel academy mail-in certification thing, this camera will propel me to the top of the corporate ladder. Windows and doors of opportunity will be opening so fast, I'll get knocked over!

Horonto

BVW-300A
Shot with it from 94 to 2003. Loved it. Had fuji glass 14x2 with doubler. It was light and great on power.

Went to an SX 90WS in 2002 and still miss my 300A.

Last edited:

geezer

I had suppressed all memories of that NEC/MII rig. We went through a bunch of Panny AG400/MII set ups until they started getting lit pixels so bad that watching night video was like going to a planetarium.
The video rig I got isssued at my first station was a Sony 1600. If you used one of these things then you know how dreadful they were. If not consider yourself lucky.
It's not a video camera but I did really enjoy shooting with a CP16RA. It had a 9.5/57 Angenieux and a 10/100 Canon in the kit and was a big step up from the Auricons and Filmos I had been using.
Last week I got a Panny HVX200 to play with as part of our changeover to P2. I have going through the manual and doing a little shooting with it for a while and if you take it for what it is this is a pretty nice little camera.
It could use more reach on the long end of the lens and the low light performance is not terrific but if you give it some footcandles it looks really good and it's going to be easy on my back.
Does liking this camera make me a bad person?
Anybody using the HVX200A? Panny says it has better low light sensitivity.
While I am stumbling down memory lane I also have to mention the Sony BVP 250. It was a stripped down 300 with industrial Saticons and was a great camera for the money.
The take away on all of this is that it's not the camera that makes the picture, it's the gray blob of goo six four inches behind your eyeballs that does all the heavy lifting.
Happy Memorial Day

Some Guy in LA

Worst camera ever?
Was it the Sony 1600 with the CCU, cart, and 3/4 deck?
Nawwwww...let's go with the classic TK-76! My shoulder still has a ding in it from that $#@*! tripod plate!

Hiding Under Here

The Sony D600 made more money for more people for a longer period of time than any camera ever made.It has a digital head and an analog back. Still widely used today. They are THE workhorse of the network level broadcast industry.

D.St.

I was always partial to the Ikegami HL-55 until I got my mitts on a Panasonic SDX-800 P2 rig. I'd say the 800 is easily the best camera I've ever had.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but someone told me that Panasonic stole Ikegami's engineering teams to develop their current crop of cameras (Varicam, SDX-900, etc.)

jim sitton

PRO user
My first day on the job, I was handed a tk-76 and a 110 deck with no umbilical cord. The engineer said that photogs always break them so, "Here's a bnc cable."
That meant that for every shot you'd have to reach around to find and push the REC button on the deck then frame/get your shot then reach around again to find and push the Pause button.
What a nightmare, I almost quit a few times that first year. Just a big ole hunk of metal on my shoulder!
Oh and don't forget the battery belt for your cam light...

Then one glorious morning I was assigned a BETA CAM. (Insert Heavenly music here)

I have two tk-76's with original lens and viewfinders,
if anyone would like to buy them.

McQueen

My favorite was the Sony DVW-790WS. Digi-Beta,16:9,20x Fuji, skin detail. Sharp,sharp,sharp! Tough and reliable. Used it from Alaska to Central America...never let me down once. Little bit of a power hog though.

Davoosie

My first camera, a Ikegami HL-V55. I loved that camera, the colors.... and there was something about the picture that my Sonys couldn't match. I still regret selling it to this day.

HokiePhotog

Tandy's NLE would totally kick the crap out of Commodore 64's.
No thanks, I'll stick with the Amiga & Video Toaster. Those star wipes look really cool.

Seriously though, I've been rather fond of my Sony DNW-9WS... It's been far more durable than the Panasonic DVCPro unit I used at my last shop... It spends far less time with Engineering. However, it's getting harder to find parts for it since Sony isn't making SX stuff anymore...

Last edited:

Wideangle

Sony 400a. I had a great set-up on it, it traveled with me world-wide, and gave me no problems and pretty pictures. I'd take it today over a D600....(and I had one of
those, too)