PDA

View Full Version : BVW-75 Error Code... Help!

Davoosie
07-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Today my '75 began displaying an error code-03 "reel trouble" when playing back tapes at 1x speed, this only happens when playing via the play button. I can play back 1x while in shuttle mode with no errors. In both modes the picture at top seems to be skewed a little, adjusting the tracking does not help. Also the stop button lights very dimly on and off while this is happening.

I'm in the middle of ingesting some footage and need to find a quick fix ASAP. Anybody have any ideas? Any website with sony error codes, or maint. manuals?

Jim

Davoosie
07-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Anybody?
Am I the only one still using Beta SP?
I guess so. :(

Chicago Dog
07-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Today my '75 began displaying an error code-03 "reel trouble" when playing back tapes at 1x speed, this only happens when playing via the play button.

I hit up Google and searched "BVW-75 error code 03." I found this suggestion (http://www.pechorin.com/m/2007/05/23/Re_BVW70_Error_03_Code-291783.html) for a BVW-70 over at Pechorin (http://www.pechorin.com/). I wouldn't be surprised if it's very similar to the '75:

Most likely problem is defective (broken) solder connections on one or both reel motors. This is a fairly common problem in Sony betacam decks. It IS repairable.

If that doesn't seem to help, I suggest starting a new thread at that site. Someone there might be able to help you out.

Because of the "skewing" you mentioned, the only other suggestion I can think of is cleaning the heads.

I hope this isn't too late! Good luck!

star wipe
07-16-2008, 10:08 AM
I passed your problem on to a freind who is an incredible engineer on these decks, here's her response....

Error 3 is referencing a problem comparing the FG duty cycles between the Take up reel motor and the capstan motor. Things to check are the cassette compartment. If it is not seated all the way down, the tape cassette hub may slip with the reel motor table causing an irregular take up FG. Next, the take up motor could be bad. One way I check it is to turn the deck off, use a long thin screwdriver, pull the brake away from the table, spin the motor by hand. Find a spot on the the motor itelf and with the screwdriver, touch one end of it on that spot and the handle end of the driver I put up to my ear basically making a stethoscope. By doing that, you can easily hear any bearing noise. You can do the same thing with the capstan motor. Another thing to check is the gap between the FG magnet on the take up table assembly and the reel table FG sensor. The gap tolerance is pretty tight. 3 pieces of paper should pass between the two and they should not rub together.The Fg duty cycles are then read correctly. Also, you mention a skew at the top of the picture. That is tape path on the entrance side of the drum. The supply tension regulator and entrance guide adjustments are critical for the correct reading of the CTL track signal. The CTL signal is closely related to the audio time code head position, and capstan FGs too. The reason you can playback OK in shuttle mode versus playback is in playback the deck servo is locked and doesn't have to be in shuttle. Also, you could have a failure on the SV 83 board. As far as a manual, I have seen them on eBay. You could Google it and possibly find one there. Hope that helps.

Icarus112277
07-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Reel trouble first thing I owuld do is check the tape tranport system. If you see nothing irregular there call a real engineer. Reel trouble usually is 'real trouble', meaning beyond what most techs want to mess with.

Davoosie
07-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Here is a still from a capture. It's in shuttle, but you can see the grey banding at the top of the frame that happens while in play mode regardless of shuttle or play.

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/7499/31620805bq9.jpg

Hope this narrows it down a little.

Icarus112277
07-19-2008, 01:06 AM
I just sent the description and screenshot to a studio chief engineer I know. I should have some sort of an answer for you tomorrow.

Icarus112277
07-19-2008, 12:34 PM
"Reel trouble is a problem with the reel servo, most times needing realignment due to mechanical wear. 100% play is different from normal play. The gray is "dropout", that is to say loss of head to tape contact, thus RF dropout. Needs maintenance."
"One more dumb thing to check is the tracking control! When the machine is aligned properly, it should be in the center, detent position. In 100% play the tracking circuit is not used, so to speak."