PDA

View Full Version : anchor/reporter on-screen names

TexasDave
04-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Just wanted to start a post about fake and funny anchor and/or reporter names. Ever work with someone (or know of someone) who used a name so fake, it's obvious? Let the games begin....

Baltimore's Finest Fotog
04-04-2007, 07:10 PM
There used to be a meteorologist in Philly by the name of Amy Freeze. I see she now works in Chicago...but that one always made me laugh. If it's not fake, it should be.

Corporate Management
04-04-2007, 09:00 PM
There was a weatherdude named Thor. I forget his last name, but his first was Thor. Really.

newz2me
04-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Worked once with a gal named Crystal Sheets (her real name)

If I ever had to make up a name, I think I'd go with Alex Von Hayes. Not sure if I heard that in a movie or what but I like the way it rolls off the tongue.

Flaca Productions
04-04-2007, 09:43 PM
joe winters and phil somers were two weather guys that i've worked with.

Baltimore Shooter
04-04-2007, 10:43 PM
When I worked in radio, I worked with a guy who hosted a talk show. His name was Wyn Moore. Yep, his real name.

With a name like that, he could have been a game show host or at least a promotions manager.

Warren

BluesDaddy
04-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Our weatherman is Skip Waters.

Canonman
04-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Used to be a traffic girl on the radio here named, "Elaine Changer".

cm

TexasDave
04-05-2007, 08:48 AM
On a sidenote, austin's mayor: Will Wynn

Land Rover
04-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Nothing on air but I had a news director that had his number listed in the phone book under E. Presley.

A Step Above Productions
04-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Weather Girl - Sandy Fields (real name)

WSVN Reporter On Air Name - Rosh Lowe (real name Rosh Handwrieger)

Reporter I worked with 18 years ago on air name Andria Richards (real name Andria Dick)

newz2me
04-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Our weatherman is Skip Waters.

Ah Skippy, he's still around huh? I used to work at Fox 8/14 but I remember watching him on WCTI.

LongTimePhotog
04-05-2007, 09:58 AM
NYC market had Storm Field as a WX guy.

detroitsprings
04-05-2007, 10:29 AM
In Denver, the women that does traffic for the radio is named Amelia Earhart. I really doubt that is her real name.

engphotog21
04-05-2007, 11:25 AM
We had a weather guy at my station for years named Jay Walker.

I also recently heard a girl on the radio in town doing traffic under the name Elaine Closure...

smltm4nw
04-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I list this guy as one of my very favorite people in the entire world so if he finds me after this at least i tried to dull the pain.

On air Tom Halden. Real life name Tom Dickhausen

SwampOtter
04-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Nothing to do with work, but the name of one of my fraternity brothers from college is Dallas Bridges.

Baltimore Shooter
04-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Nothing to do with work, but the name of one of my fraternity brothers from college is Dallas Bridges.
Did he have a brother named Nash? :D

Warren

soonershooter
04-07-2007, 01:13 PM
In my market there is a Time-Warner news operation.

They have rotating anchors.

One of the anchor shifts is from 6AM-noon.

The incumbent in that shift?

Tracey Early.

Seriously.

Here's her bio:
http://rdu.news14.com/content/contact_us/tracey_early/

svp
04-07-2007, 01:57 PM
KOCO's Chief Meteorologist is Rick Mitchell on TV but that's not his real name.

servo
04-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Know a Ben Jerkins....very real name.

NEWSSHOOTER3
04-07-2007, 02:27 PM
I. M. Useless. Co-hosting with Vastly Overpaid.

- Every market in America

Baltimore's Finest Fotog
04-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Every now and then I sense a little anchor-bashing throughout these threads. That leads me to wonder how many shooters really work with inept anchors who are nothing more than "reading machines." Because I have to say, I feel pretty confident in saying the anchors we have in our shop, at least the ones I work/interact with, are great writers and field reporters when they get the chance to go out...and I know they enjoy the opportunity. I'm just wondering how many anchors are out there that really miss going out in the field and gathering a really good story...

Sorry if this hijacks the thread...just seemed like a natural dovetail.

NEWSSHOOTER3
04-07-2007, 04:18 PM
...I'm just wondering how many anchors are out there that really miss going out in the field and gathering a really good story...

Sorry if this hijacks the thread...just seemed like a natural dovetail.

I say that with a little tongue in cheek. I believe, for the most part, they paid their dues somewhere along the way. However, where I'm at now, they do not come to daily meetings and I have never seen them do a news story in the field. Why should I feel that they are a part of the "team"? They make the most money. They do the least work.

Some Guy in LA
04-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Back to it...

In Tampa in the early 80s...Sunny Day...

Apparently the guy resented it...they forced him into it...and then fired him when it backfired!

shootist
04-30-2007, 05:47 AM
back in the 80s in scranton-wb...three reporters same station:
mike stevens, craig stevens, steve craig.

gee....dya think there were a coupla middle names in use there?

if only we had a craig michaels.....oh wait we had a craig davis...but then he used "mark davis" (his brother's name btw)

CHIEFPHOTDOG
04-30-2007, 04:31 PM
In this business, you have to represent not only your station but our industry, so you change your hair your voice even your name. I had a sports guy, who's last name was something like Wiginosky he just ended up using his first and middle name. Brian Scott.
We used to have a bad ass reporter, he's real name is Frederick Yost; on cam Chip Yost, I miss that crazy guy.

wutang
04-30-2007, 04:43 PM
I am sure the people in Nashville have come to love Sky Blue Arnold. Yes, Sky Blue his parents were hippies. I still remember him introducing himself as Sky Arnold and saying like the sky above.

Lenslinger
05-01-2007, 06:32 AM
A guy by the name of Rex Rowland taught me ALOT about news writing early on, but I always thought his name sounded likea superhero's alter-ego. Wonder where is now?

(Sin)ical
05-01-2007, 06:57 AM
there's a chopper/weather guy in LA named Rick Dickert.

C St. SW
05-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Once had an intern at our station, barely 20, drove a red BMW convertible, never knew a mall she hadn't shopped in....always showed up in the latest designer fashions for work.....her name? Muffy Farnsworth. God's honest....true story.

Needless to say, by the time her internship ended, she knew the business wasn't for her. Too much work. These days, she'd probably be put on the anchor desk within 2 weeks.

The Daywood
05-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Kind of off topic, but still in the wierd name category...

I was substitue teaching at a High School while in college, and as I was calling the roll I came across a name I knew I really shouldn't try to pronounce, so I called "Ms. Williams?"

She said "My first name is pronounced Sha-theed"...

Guess she got that alot...I wasn't about to pronounce what was on the paper...

"Sh!thead Williams"

Jonathan Kirsch
05-01-2007, 10:45 AM
In Denver, the women that does traffic for the radio is named Amelia Earhart. I really doubt that is her real name.

Actually, it is her real name. Here's (http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment/ci_4028156) a recent story about her from the Denver Post. Here's (http://www.colorado.edu/news/releases/2005/162.html) another one from two years ago when she first started at KOA Radio (while attending CU Boulder). She's cute, too.
http://www.colorado.edu/news/releases/2005/images/162.jpg

Also, back in the 70's, KUSA's (then an ABC affiliate) chief meterologist was named Leon "Stormy" Rottman. Then in teh 80's the station hired Rob "Sunny" Roseman. Ad campaign was "Sunny days and Stormy nights".

Dave Putnam
05-01-2007, 01:50 PM
My station's current meteorologist is Dallas Raines. Johnny Mountain was also part of the station's weather department until he bolted for greener pastures at KCBS-TV/KCAL-TV a couple of years ago.

Baltimore Shooter
05-01-2007, 01:55 PM
My station's current meteorologist is Dallas Raines.

Dallas Raines, as in the host of the show "The Exciting World of Speed and Beauty" from about 10-15yrs ago?

Warren

Todio
05-02-2007, 08:26 AM
"Sh!thead Williams"

OMFG!!! Her parents must have HATED her!!

I'll bet she hated her parents as she grew up. (or changed her name)

Hey, I'm all for freedom of expression but there should be a law... and I believe that in some countries (Sweden??) there IS a law against odd names (not sure who decides or enforces this law but this one certainly must fall under that category). It would protect kids from the almost certain harrassment and bullying that having such a strange name would generate.

It's just not fair to an innocent child to saddle them with a name like sh!thead for the rest of their life.

Tod "thanking God I'm not a "Boy Named Sue"" Bovingdon

Brock Samson
05-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Ala the Simsons: Great one would be 'Max Powers'

Brock Samson
05-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Oops I miss-spelled 'Simpsons.'

Flame away, Dyckerson.

Frank McBride
05-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Meteorologist for CW-39 Houston: Cassanova Nurse

FMc