PDA

View Full Version : Wrongful Termination at KUSA

<You're Fired>
08-16-2004, 02:45 PM
Anita Lopez a former Anchor at KUSA was terminated and now may seek a wrongful termination lawsuit. Just a few months ago Tony Zarella the #1 sports anchor was terminated and is now suing for wrongful termination. Just last year the 10pm producer was let go and filed a wrongful termination suit. Is this common in your market?

<---------->
08-17-2004, 06:03 PM
KUSA isn't quite the shop it used to be.

<davidsiebers>
08-19-2004, 04:03 AM
The former 10pm producer was let go?
Was that Jeanie Nelson?

<---------->
08-19-2004, 08:20 PM
10-4 good buddy. bye-bye Jeanie.

<verakatz>
08-19-2004, 09:47 PM
who does adele smoke with now?

<adele smoking>
08-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Adele quit smoking. Well, I think she's smoking again but not cigarettes. She smoking up the competition! Even with that cardboard cut out of an anchor she sits next to.

<---------->
08-20-2004, 08:44 PM
Yeah. It's just too bad the rest of their people (photographers, editors) get treated like crap.

<Anita and Tony Fan Club>
08-21-2004, 12:00 AM
Anita Lopez was bad for moral... she's a cheat and a liar. Supposedly had a car accident and hurt her back. She couldn't sit at the anchor desk for an hour at a time because it hurt so she was medical leave. After close to a year of disability the station had enough once they got pictures of her riding her bike daily and hosting openings of nightclubs....

As for Tony. He got what he had coming too him. He was too big for his own smelly feet and treated everyone like they were crap. HE's where he belongs, on the streets with the rest of the addicts....

Now there's more time for he and Anita!

Management is just doing what is best for the entire staff, weeding out the bad apples.

dawgpound
08-21-2004, 12:35 AM
Bad vibes go away! Go back to the watercooler where you belong.

<---------->
08-21-2004, 05:48 PM
it's probably really hard for moral when their main people are tossed aside, and they are down shooters.

<I got out of 9News>
08-24-2004, 02:25 AM
Anita was a pain in the a--, lazy and stupid.
Tony wasn't not as much of a bitch as Anita was, but he still had a lot of issues, like telling off the GM and missing live shots!!! KUSA has never treated people well, but getting rid of some dead weight was a good call this time!!!

<Unhappy ex-kusa'er>
08-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Well it's looks like a couple of former employees of KUSA were not happy there. How about the rest of you. Are you happy those of you still there? Are you happier where you are now, those of you that left? It seems that KUSA get a lot of posts. Everybody has an opinion of that place.

<current>
08-27-2004, 06:19 PM
oh, if we could only say how we really feel.

<curious>
08-27-2004, 10:50 PM
What about KUSA? Those who work in smaller markets think it's the photog. mecca. Region 9 is a hard region. Channel 9 wins everything. They have wonderful photogs. and the nicest chief. I guess stations all over the country are the same no matter where you are. Is there a great station to work for that pays well and everyone walks around with smiles on their faces??

<current>
08-28-2004, 12:02 AM
channel 9 is not the station it used to be. just like any station, moral could be better, and the producers have taken over. the only reason why the photogs win is because they are dedicated and work very hard. none of them want to let the monster win. they are commited to doing the best with the worst hand they are dealt. they always try to smile, but like I said, it's not like it used to be.

<As good as it gets>
08-29-2004, 01:48 PM
KUSA is a pretty damn good place to work. It is not nirvana (I don't think that exists in TV news) but as far as having great perks, it's pretty close. You have your own car/gear, you don't run live truck, the reporters write to video, you can bring story ideas to the table at the assignment meetings, if you want to do a photo piece you are given the time...I could go on. Sure there are a handful of other stations that have all of these perks but the majority don't.

I work at a live shot factory now. Believe me, I would love to go back to the station that "isn't what it used to be".

<I got out of 9News>
09-01-2004, 01:55 AM
I am much happier now!!! That place is by no means the worst place in the world to work. In fact compared to many stations it is pretty nice. I just got tired of not being valued and being told how replaceable I was. For a long time I thought it was just me and then I started to see that they treated everyone that way.

As for how the shop has changed... they should look at the rest of the market, I think they would feel better. They still get to do the stories that win awards and have nats and characters.

Don't get me wrong I have never been happier... then I am now. I just think that I finaly learned that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the field.

oxymorons in Denver
01-24-2005, 08:54 PM
KUSA is a Gannett station and Roger Ogden is the perfect poo-boy for its facist agenda in an increasinly anti-union world. No one realizes the ridiculous moral clauses in these contracts as if these people are something important. Couple that with the fact that "broadcast journalism" is an oxymoron and you have KUSA.
As for Tony, he resented the hand job that was forced on Shanahan due to the advertising and the jock-sniffing execs who rode on the Broncs plane and the general hypocisy located in a Gannett-like atmosphere where $$ always trumphs the truth and image triumphs over all. Let us not forget that Ogden violated the law when he disclosed what was private medical information about Zarella.
Anyone who ever saw Zarella in public knows tha he always had time for anyone regardless of their IQ or state of intoxication. Zarella was too good for such an unsophisticated cow town like Denver.

<Give me a break>
01-25-2005, 11:04 PM
The guy was a drug addict and consistently cheated on his wife. Not the devil but certainly not a saint.

<oxymorons in Denver>
02-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the typical hyperbole, but he was hardly a drug addict and even Nixon said drug addiction was a health problem which we would all agree is a privacy issue. Plus even if it were true, his ratings were high and he was far and away the best in that cowtown.
The issue with his wife is their business, not to mention she was crazy. They are still friends.
Where is he now?

<I wouldn't go that far>
02-19-2005, 05:25 PM
I pointed out these facts because you made him seem like a great guy and employee. He wasn't.

He went into rehab twice while I was there. That qualifies him as an addict.

The issue with his wife is their business until he openly has an affair with a co-worker.

To say that he was "too good for such an unsophisticated cow town like Denver" is a bit of a stretch.

TightShot
02-19-2005, 11:37 PM
Dude, if you are just going to come on here and talk to yourself through various unregistered names, it's a waste of space. (and rather pathetic)

<oxymorons in Denver>
02-20-2005, 12:43 PM
The problem is the idea that these faces are considered to be celebraties and not journalists. Some of these contracts are 16 pages long and are filled with morals clauses and the such. Ratings are kings and image matters more than integrity. That's why brodcast journalism is an oxymoron. It's the famous "World War III starts, film at 11" mentality.