PDA

View Full Version : Shameless Self Promotion

<Sycophant>
07-21-2004, 08:15 AM
It's late, I am tired and I just watched my recent 48 Hour film again, and suddenly thought, "yes! I can promote myself shamelessly on B-Roll"

The film, 'The Sceptre Of MacGuffin' was created as part of the Auckland 48Hours competition - it was written, shot, edited and delivered within 48 hours of being given a genre (action/adventure), line of dialogue ("do you mind if I have the last one?") and character ("Jesse McCloud - total has been").

It was shot on BetacamSP, and edited on Avid Media Composer.

You can watch it online, and vote for it (hint) at NZShortFilm.com (http://www.nzshortfilm.com/film,1408,play,1411.sm)

As the director and editor, there are things that bother me about the final product (especially the sound) but overall I was, and still am, really proud of the finished product.

I happen to know Cameragod shot one of the 48Hours entries too, although I am not sure which one, or if it is available online, or even if he likes it enough to admit it here :)

<Sycophant>
07-21-2004, 08:18 AM
Uh, try this link for different view options:
http://www.nzshortfilm.com/film,1408.sm

Lensmith
07-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Interesting concept. Forty eight hours? The film was...cute. ;)

What do they do? Hand you a script that you've never seen before and then have a stop watch on you to make sure you do the film in the contest time frame?

I couldn't watch all of them but...it's fun for me to see things from other countries and will check out the other entries later today.

Did you have a choice of scripts?

<Sycophant>
07-21-2004, 08:55 AM
It works like this --

At 6:30pm on Friday we (the team leaders) turn up at a pre-determined venue, each team picks a genre from a hat. Then once all teams have their genres, a line of dialogue, character and prop are drawn from a hat. All teams must include the same line, character and prop (although how is up to them) and make a 4-8 minute short using them (and anything else they like) to fit within their genre.

The teams then go away to write shot and edit their shorts, which must be handed in by 7pm on Sunday.

In our case, we wrote from 7:30pm Friday until about 2am, then shot from 10am to midnight Saturday, digitised and made a few cuts until about 5am Sunday, slept for three hours and cut from 8am until 6:15pm and handed it the finished product at 6:46pm on Sunday.

Lensmith
07-21-2004, 09:10 AM
It's an interesting concept but...what is the goal of the contest?

Speed with as much quality as possible in a given time frame?

I'm trying to understand what a contest like this promotes to advance our craft...or is it more for the actors who will now have something to put on a demo reel.

I'm asking these questions with TOTAL respect and not making fun of anything.

HONEST!

<Sycophant>
07-21-2004, 09:21 AM
It's hard to explain...

I guess for people like me, who are always making other people's things it's refreshing to be able to make something of my own.

Also, the timeframe forces action - where often personal projects sit forever on the 'real soon now' shelf, this is a massive kick in the ass.

As a competition, the prizes are pretty good (see www.48hours.co.nz (http://www.48hours.co.nz) for details).

Most of all it is just a whole lot of fun - it's one of those "you have to do it to understand" things.

Also, getting into the finals meant that my film was seen on the big screen in a sold-out 2000 seat cinema. Plus is being screened on TV and will be released on DVD. All these things are a big buzz for me and everyone else involved.

<Sycophant>
07-21-2004, 09:57 AM
Well, to be fair, the yanks (http://www.48hourfilm.com/) came up with it, but I feel we have embraced it in a fantastic way -- we get much bigger turn outs than them...

Lensmith
07-21-2004, 09:58 AM
I can see how this would be good promotion for your abilities. You're right, the prizes are pretty good.

Leave it to the Kiwis to do something creative and have some fun too. ;)

Lensmith
07-21-2004, 10:02 AM
I've got a good buddy here from New Zealand. I know he'll get a kick out of seeing this. By the way...nice babes!

Did you do the casting too or were the actors on a list supplied by the contest folks?

<Sycophant>
07-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Nup, we did it all, nothing was supplied.

cameragod
07-24-2004, 12:52 AM
I’m still trying to get over it.
Oh well there is always next year.